• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Dillons Lens Review

htrap2294

Clap Guru
Premium Member
San Diego, CA
So, with all the hype about Dillons Lens, I had to jump in and get me a set. The model I decided to choose was the Dillon Drake. The reason is, price. It was the only frame I found on a third party application for a reasonable price - $80.

Disclaimer: I tend to have very sensitive eyes and I've noticed anything other than OEM Oakley lenses give me a slight headache. Now, note, this is a personal opinion and other people may feel differently.

The first thing I noticed was, the stress the metal frame induces on the lens. This is shown by this video I have taken here - I am not the only one with this issue. However, it is a minor issue as most of us use a cheese grater and nail filer to cut the lenses into a different frame.

I have also noticed, when viewing the lens in bright sunlight, that there are 3 layers to the lens. The matte polarization filter is sandwiched between the outer and inner lens. This is clear when bright sunlight hits the lens and you can see sparkles/shimmers of the polarization filter.

Video Proof:

Secondly, the crispness, the clarity, it is all very true. These lenses are extraordinarily crisp - they cut out pretty much ALL internal reflection. The hype about this was true.

Now, as I wore it more and the initial hype began to fade, I began to notice something...eye fatigue. I'm wondering to myself, what could cause this? The lens is so damn clear! I racked my brain, then I did a simple test...I focused on a far away object and put the lens on. Well, what do you know - the object jumped. This does not happen with my Oakley lenses and many Oakley videos show this to be true, as they do their laser test with an Oakley. So, I think that while Dillon Optics have amazing clarity and crispness, as well as cool factor that Oakley simply can't beat - the Oakley lenses produce a more depth accurate image.

In the end, it is your choice - what do you find more important? Crispness, clarity, cool look? Or, do you prefer an accurate image, like me? Personally, I'll keep these but I decided I can't justify the cost of cutting them as they give me minor headaches if I wear for more than one hour.

I will wear them more throughout the week and see if my opinion changes, but as of now, this is my verdict. I also plan to take my Dillons as well as my Oakley OEM lenses to my local ophthalmologist and optometrist to see their official opinions and get some concrete testing done.

@dingo ate my baby @cacatman @Litos @IAMOBS

Last edited:
So, with all the hype about Dillons Lens, I had to jump in and get me a set. The model I decided to choose was the Dillon Drake. The reason is, price. It was the only frame I found on a third party application for a reasonable price - $80.

Disclaimer: I tend to have very sensitive eyes and I've noticed anything other than OEM Oakley lenses give me a slight headache. Now, note, this is a personal opinion and other people may feel differently.

The first thing I noticed was, the stress the metal frame induces on the lens. This is shown by this video I have taken here - I am not the only one with this issue. However, it is a minor issue as most of us use a cheese grater and nail filer to cut the lenses into a different frame.

Video Proof:

Secondly, the crispness, the clarity, it is all very true. These lenses are extraordinarily crisp - they cut out pretty much ALL internal reflection. The hype about this was true.

Now, as I wore it more and the initial hype began to fade, I began to notice something...eye fatigue. I'm wondering to myself, what could cause this? The lens is so damn clear! I racked my brain, then I did a simple test...I focused on a far away object and put the lens on. Well, what do you know - the object jumped. This does not happen with my Oakley lenses and many Oakley videos show this to be true, as they do their laser test with an Oakley. So, I think that while Dillon Optics have amazing clarity and crispness, as well as cool factor that Oakley simply can't beat - the Oakley lenses produce a more depth accurate image.

In the end, it is your choice - what do you find more important? Crispness, clarity, cool look? Or, do you prefer an accurate image, like me? Personally, I'll keep these but I decided I can't justify the cost of cutting them as they give me minor headaches if I wear for more than one hour.

I will wear them more throughout the week and see if my opinion changes, but as of now, this is my verdict.

@dingo ate my baby @cacatman @Litos @IAMOBS
Thanks bro. Excellent review. If you want to sell, let me know!

2nd in line
How many Dillon lenses do you have @BigRabbit? If you have 3 Dillon lenses or less, I'd be happy for you to take my spot and be first in line, because I have 3 already, out of respect and kudos to you, brother! You've sold me (directly and indirectly) quite a few things I'd otherwise have had no hope of getting.
P.S. Of course, it's up to @htrap2294 to decide to whom and how he sells them.

I'm glad you are, bro. I really like my Dillons too but at the end of the day, it's a trade-off with Oakleys, IMO. Some people will value one set of trade-offs more than the other. :)

Bad that they give you a headache, I didn’t experience that sensation.

My loyalty will always be with Oakley Optics however.

BIP will always be my favourite lense.

How many Dillon lenses do you have @BigRabbit? If you have 3 Dillon lenses or less, I'd be happy for you to take my spot and be first in line, because I have 3 already, out of respect and kudos to you, brother! You've sold me (directly and indirectly) quite a few things I'd otherwise have had no hope of getting.
P.S. Of course, it's up to @htrap2294 to decide to whom and how he sells them.
You are a class act all the way brother

Back