• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

My Experiments In Rust

RonkPM

Oakley Expert
Choctaw, OK
After seeing the Fall Out Rust Decay line, like others, I thought to reproduce it. After plenty of experimentation here is what I started with and have been trying different techniques to see what happens. I used a special paint with iron in it and have been playing with different clear coats to see what it does to the color.

First up is my first pair of Fuel Cells that I did to recreate the Rust Decay. I tried for more color variation.
RustFCs-FireClean_1_zps790af484.jpg

The water-based clear I used here added the yellow spots
RustFCs-Fire2_zps754b27a6.jpg

RustFCs-FireClean_2_zps6aaf1f81.jpg

RustFCs-FireClean_1_zps790af484.jpg
RustFCs-FireClean_5_zps5e9d2866.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a pair of Batwolfs sitting around doing nothing, they were crying out to be rusted. Originally they looked like the Fuel Cells, but decided to try a different flat clear on these which darkened the color up too much. But I'm still happy with how they turned out after I threw in some orange icons.

RustBatwolf_2_zpsfe8db2d9.jpg

RustBatwolf_4_zpsaa40730e.jpg

RustBatwolf_3_zps13d3344f.jpg

A friend of mine saw what I was doing and wanted a pair of Frogs rusted, so I obliged. I didn’t use a clear on these, but used different chemicals/techniques to add a kind of multi-layer rust job to them. She almost didn’t get these back from me after I finished. Lol
RustFrogs_4_zpsda95a7ea.jpg

RustFrogs_3_zps340f174e.jpg

RustFrogs_6_zps59464488.jpg

She compared them with the Rust Decay Breadboxes. I gotta say, I like mine better!
FallOutComparison_zps34165e87.jpg

I HAD to do a pair of Juliet’s. No clear on these either. I fell in love with these and try to rock them every chance I get. No damage to the frame under the paint and I can strip it off and redo it whenever I decide to try something different with them! I have no idea why, but these make me weirdly happy…

RustJuliet_zps5cc1b498.jpg

RustJuliet_2_zps2446005d.jpg

RustJuliet_4_zps114b76fb.jpg

RustJuliet_3_zps51e67c5c.jpg

RustJuliet-Challenger2_zps35831e57.jpg

RustJuliet-Challenger3_zps9f38d88c.jpg

RustJuliet-Challenger_zpsd99fb4d0.jpg

RustJuliet-Profile_zps46c21ef5.jpg

I’ve also been messing around with trying to figure out a certain way to patina copper a vibrant blue for some copper sheeting on my concrete kegerator so I figured what the heck. I can form some thin copper around the icons for another Fuel Cell I am playing with and try to get a sweet patina on them. I think they turned out great against the rust.

CopperRustFCs21_zps2d1a9aec.jpg

[URL=http://s238.photobucket.com/user/wsup_doc/media/Oakley%20Paint%20Jobs/Copper%20Icons/CopperRustFCs_zps1d64453a.jpg.html]CopperRustFCs_zps1d64453a.jpg

[URL=http://s238.photobucket.com/user/wsup_doc/media/Oakley%20Paint%20Jobs/Copper%20Icons/PatinaCopperIcons_2_zps5e205d14.jpg.html]PatinaCopperIcons_2_zps5e205d14.jpg
[/URL][/URL]

Back