• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

My Experiments In Rust

Thank you! It's paint that's has iron in it that you can rust. There are a few different techniques to try, you just have to experiment to find out what works best. Every different frame I've messed with has come out different each time. Even the type of clear you spray over it changes it.

RonkPM
Oakley Beginner

I'm waiting for a friend to send me some matte auto clear to try out and then I can do whatever glasses y'all want.

I was going to say about matte clear to protect the frame from further oxidation and potential peeling eventually. Your work is more than outstanding man! count me in for a pair to be rusted! Glad you are open to accommodating pairs from fellow Oakley addicts.. haha

Thank you! It's paint that's has iron in it that you can rust. There are a few different techniques to try, you just have to experiment to find out what works best. Every different frame I've messed with has come out different each time. Even the type of clear you spray over it changes it.

What did you use specially for the frog ? do you have paint brand ?

This one is just stunning ! I really want one of those ! Count me in if you do one of those .

A friend of mine saw what I was doing and wanted a pair of Frogs rusted, so I obliged. I didn’t use a clear on these, but used different chemicals/techniques to add a kind of multi-layer rust job to them. She almost didn’t get these back from me after I finished. Lol
View attachment 106742
View attachment 106743
View attachment 106744

She compared them with the Rust Decay Breadboxes. I gotta say, I like mine better!
View attachment 106745
That is truely kick ass work.....very impressed.

I HAD to do a pair of Juliet’s. No clear on these either. I fell in love with these and try to rock them every chance I get. No damage to the frame under the paint and I can strip it off and redo it whenever I decide to try something different with them! I have no idea why, but these make me weirdly happy…

View attachment 106734
View attachment 106735
View attachment 106736

View attachment 106737
View attachment 106738
View attachment 106739
View attachment 106740

View attachment 106741
And that be a '70 challenger in the background. ..nice work, your a plastic modeler im guessin superb detail......

Love the work you have done on all those frames! Like everyone else has mentioned, you have some incredible experiments going on! PM sent.

And that be a '70 challenger in the background. ..nice work, your a plastic modeler im guessin superb detail......

I appreciate it sir! Not much model experience in the past, the nature of the rust does all the variation work for me. :)
That's my '73, its finished, but not really. Lol

Latest Posts

Back