• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

My First Custom Painted Frame

One of my inspirations was the original pair of M-Frames I had back in the mid 90's, that one had the carbon frames. Wish I still had that pair...
In about 2001, Oakley was running a promotional offer, if you sent back an old pair of M-Frames direct to Oakley (lens and frame), they would give you a $50 credit towards a new pair of M-Frames. I took them up on this and got a pair of Pro M-Frames, of which I still have like new, but worn as safety glasses at home working on stuff mostly. Anyway, I wish I kept the old ones and got the new ones too without the $50 credit.

Pro and M2.jpg

To PiesangKop_ZA:

I couldn't reply to your pm as I'm still a new member, and locked from doing so, and I'll post this here:

When I did this paintwork on the M2, I did not remove the ear stems I didn't want to risk breaking the ear stems or the hinges. All that was removed was the earsocks, and the wings and the icons.

To get the wings off, I carefully (and lightly) heated the ear stems with a heat gun on low setting where the wing goes through. This will help to expand the plastic and to soften it ever so gently. From there, I used a brass drift punch with a hammer and gave a sharp tap to knock them out from the back side (see pic). I used a heat gun on the lowest setting and moved it all around. I think a hairdryer would also work. Just don't overheat, keep it moving around the area. It should just be warm to the touch.
When using the drift punch to knock them out, I used 2 wood blocks with a gap between them where the frame and ear stems would rest in the middle for support.

When the wings were off, a little gentle heat was also used on the icons. They are held on by a sticky backed tape. I gently pried them off with a tiny screw driver. The icons are metal and come off easily.

When painting the frames, I used a small brass rod and taped them to the ear stems to keep it in the "open" position as I didn't want paint in the hinges.

M2 1.jpg

M2 2.jpg

M2 3.jpg

To PiesangKop_ZA:

I couldn't reply to your pm as I'm still a new member, and locked from doing so, and I'll post this here:

When I did this paintwork on the M2, I did not remove the ear stems I didn't want to risk breaking the ear stems or the hinges. All that was removed was the earsocks, and the wings and the icons.

To get the wings off, I carefully (and lightly) heated the ear stems with a heat gun on low setting where the wing goes through. This will help to expand the plastic and to soften it ever so gently. From there, I used a brass drift punch with a hammer and gave a sharp tap to knock them out from the back side (see pic). I used a heat gun on the lowest setting and moved it all around. I think a hairdryer would also work. Just don't overheat, keep it moving around the area. It should just be warm to the touch.
When using the drift punch to knock them out, I used 2 wood blocks with a gap between them where the frame and ear stems would rest in the middle for support.

When the wings were off, a little gentle heat was also used on the icons. They are held on by a sticky backed tape. I gently pried them off with a tiny screw driver. The icons are metal and come off easily.

When painting the frames, I used a small brass rod and taped them to the ear stems to keep it in the "open" position as I didn't want paint in the hinges.

View attachment 953973

View attachment 953974

View attachment 953975
Thanks for the details!
Good to know that the icon wings will actually come out 👍

Thanks for the details!
Good to know that the icon wings will actually come out 👍
For what it's worth, I could not get them out without heating them. I tried before hand and those things are in there really tight. If you proceed with this, you'll find there's a locking tab inside that really holds them in.
Putting them back on was pretty easy though, they just snap right in.

Latest Posts

Back