• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

My First Oakley Watch

get pickup im looking for one of those myself just got to find the right one at the right price

If that was your first Oakley watch, you didn't start small; it's one of the best... Congrats!

You figure out the buttons yet?

If that was your first Oakley watch, you didn't start small; it's one of the best... Congrats!

You figure out the buttons yet?

Thanks! Yup it's my first! I think what sold me on it was the band design. I was also looking at the MM and liked the face more than the HP but liked the HP band much more. So I was torn and decided on the HP.

I haven't figured out the buttons or what the dials do quite yet. I need to download the instruction manual and read it. I have a feeling I won't use half the stuff it can do.

Congrats on the first watch! That is a hell of a splash into the Oakley watch world.

Really it uses a Swiss Rhonda movement so the registers (subdials) and pushers (buttons) are pretty standard for an analog chronograph (stopwatch) watch.

The register on the right is not part of the chronograph but instead your second hand for telling the time, instead of the large second hand (which in this case is part of the chronograph).

The bottom register is part of the chronograph and tells you 1/10ths of a second.

The left register is part of the chronograph and counts how many minutes have elapsed as you time something.

The top pusher is the chronograph start / stop button. The lower pusher is the lap / reset button.

The most common sequence will be:
Top -> start (time starts counting)
Top -> stop (time stops counting)
Bottom -> reset (counters back to zero)

You can start / stop multiple times without resetting; it just continues to add to the elapsed time.

Lap is a little more complicated. What is does is stop the count display, even though the time is still counting "behind the scenes".

One sequence would be:
Top -> start
Bottom -> lap (counters stop at point where pushed, but chronograph still invisibly timing)
Top -> stop (timing stops but no visible indicator)
Bottom -> lap (counters jump to elapsed time when stop was pressed)
Bottom -> reset

Another sequence would be:
Top -> start
Bottom -> lap (counters stop at point where pushed, but chronograph still invisibly timing)
Bottom -> lap (counters jump to current elapsed time and start moving because it's still timing)
Top -> stop
Bottom -> reset

There's a bunch a variations possible but really "start->stop->reset" will be what you use the most, if you use it at all...

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks! What else do you suggest I look at watch wise?
I'm the last person who should answer this question. I only have an Oakley watch, a Gearbox, because it was marked down to $200. That will never happen again.

I've only worn that and a Minute Machine. I definitely love the Hollow Point, but I can only admire it. I only seen pics of the Double Tap, I like what I saw.

Sent from a telephone.

Really it uses a Swiss Rhonda movement so the registers (subdials) and pushers (buttons) are pretty standard for an analog chronograph (stopwatch) watch.

The register on the right is not part of the chronograph but instead your second hand for telling the time, instead of the large second hand (which in this case is part of the chronograph).

The bottom register is part of the chronograph and tells you 1/10ths of a second.

The left register is part of the chronograph and counts how many minutes have elapsed as you time something.

The top pusher is the chronograph start / stop button. The lower pusher is the lap / reset button.

The most common sequence will be:
Top -> start (time starts counting)
Top -> stop (time stops counting)
Bottom -> reset (counters back to zero)

You can start / stop multiple times without resetting; it just continues to add to the elapsed time.

Lap is a little more complicated. What is does is stop the count display, even though the time is still counting "behind the scenes".

One sequence would be:
Top -> start
Top -> stop (timing stops but no visible indicator)
Bottom -> lap (counters jump to elapsed time when stop was pressed)
Bottom -> reset

Another sequence would be:
Top -> start
Bottom -> lap (counters jump to current elapsed time and start moving because it's still timing)
Top -> stop
Bottom -> reset

There's a bunch a variations possible but really "start->stop->reset" will be what you use the most, if you use it at all...

Hope that makes sense.
That does make sense. Thank you for taking the time to type everything out I appreciate it.

I'm the last person who should answer this question. I only have an Oakley watch, a Gearbox, because it was marked down to $200. That will never happen again.

I've only worn that and a Minute Machine. I definitely love the Hollow Point, but I can only admire it. I only seen pics of the Double Tap, I like what I saw.

Sent from a telephone.
Gotcha. What did you think of the MM?

Back