• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

My first X-Metal Pair - My eyes hurt!

neill

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
USA
Just got my very first X-Metal today. I am used to wearing M Frames every day so this is a little different for me. I am very impressed with the material. My only question, when I put these on, my eyes instantly adjust to the curvature of the lenses. If I take them off, my eyes adjust back. I can feel my eyes focusing as the glasses go on and off. Something isn't right.

Here are some pics of the pair. Lenses are Deep Water Polarized. (nose bombs and earsocks will be put on soon, lens swap coming soon as well).

Note: The seller did mention that there was something wrong with the lenses so he did not use them. The lenses are new and were "free" as part of the deal, but I just wanted to see what the issue could be.

IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG

Last edited:
Not sure but I will try to find out.

That's probably the issue. If it's not the correct base curve, the lens will be flexing to stay in the frame. Depending on who cut the lens, this can be apparent or not so apparent. It differs per custom cut from what I understand.

You need an 8.75 base curve lens. If the seller bought from eBay, there's only 8 base curve lenses ATM.

He fully disclosed that something was wrong with the lenses and they were "free" with the frame purchase. I do believe they were a custom cut from a forum member, but I don't know who. I plan to do a lens swap anyway but would definitely save these lenses if I can.

It is possible to cut a different base curve for the frame, though more difficult. May or may not be the problem.

Another thing to check is the polarization orientation. The difficult part about custom cutting polarized lenses is keeping the polarization orientation of both lenses identical. If they're different, it's not pleasant.

Test it like this - hold the frames up in front of you, looking through them at a LCD monitor like a computer screen. Begin to rotate them counterclockwise. LCD light is polarized and as the polarization orientation of the lenses begins to match the polarization of the light coming from the screen, they will darken and then block the screen light.

If both lenses darken simultaneously, the mutual orientation is good. But if one starts to darken before the other, it's off and that's your problem.

Latest Posts

Back