• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

My Oakley Single Wide Case

I don't know why when posting from an iPad all the paragraphs are jammed together... Anyways... (edited from a PC because the paragraph issue was killing me)

I found this case on eBay a couple of months ago. It was filthy, and the guy was asking $400 for it. I contacted him and offered him $200. We settled on $300. He wanted what it was worth as scrap. He figured the aluminum and Lexan was worth that much. I had no problem paying $300 for it, since it is worth quite a bit more than that.

I didn't like the crappy fluorescent light that he had on the top of it. I pulled the light off, and started cleaning. I used acetone to clean the aluminum, and Meguiars Plastic X to polish the Lexan. After a day of cleaning, I took it inside.

Next was time to upgrade the lighting. I picked up some Sylvainia Mosaic lights from Costco for $30. I took the ninety degree couplers and cut them in half. I then took a bunch of wire that I had in the garage and started splicing the couplers together. All connections were soldered and shrink tube sealed. I drilled out two small holes in the top of the case to accommodate the wiring. I ran the LEDs down the inside of the case, on each side of the door.

Next up was the "Oakley Polarized" signs. I picked up a sheet of Lexan at the Home Depot. I cut four pieces to fit each sign, removed the protective coating and painted it red. After the paint dried I flipped the Lexan and put them in the sign with the paint facing backward. This way you view the red through the Lexan, and it acts as its own clear coat. A few drops of hot melt glue and they are secured to the signs.

I needed a small holder for a third pair of Juliet's. I took two pieces of the leftover Lexan and cut it down to the size I wanted. I then cut an aluminum rod down and hot glued the Lexan to each side, creating a pedestal. This is where pair #3 resides.
Hope you all enjoy!
This is the finished product:

With the room lights turned off

IMG_0336copy_zpsb689d983.jpg

With the room lights on

IMG_0338copy_zps2cd42d9f.jpg

The pedestal and signs

IMG_0340copy_zps34ce210e.jpg

Nice update to an old display. I did something similar with rope lights (also from Costco) but think that I might have to follow your lead with the Sylvania kit.
It lust looks cleaner I think.
That's the one with the little white wireless remote, right?

Latest Posts

Back