• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mystery Radar Frame?

Skye

Oakley Beginner
Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. Hoping you can help me identify what I've got here, whether it's a frame model I'm not familiar with, or if I've received a very poor fitting fake that I need to return asap.

I recently bought a set of "guaranteed authentic" frames off eBay from a reputable seller for my extra radar pitch lens, to save wear and tear swapping out between my red iridium path and black iridium pitch on my grey radar frames.

The first thing I noticed was that the new clear frames had the same plastic throughout the frame, whereas my grey frames have a different plastic for the nosepiece which allows you to squeeze the nosepiece together to aid removal and insertion of the frame.

xzRwn0gl.jpg

The only marking on the frame is 9016 in the photo below, which hasn't turned up any info on Google. The earsocks are marked with the Radar logo.

pMojHM5l.jpg

When I tried to install either of my path or pitch lenses in the new frame, there was no way it was going to fit. In the photo below, I've compare the fit with just the sides of the lenses hooked into the frames. As you can see on my authentic grey frames, there's very little gap to the nosepiece, so the lens can be guided into the groove easily, before snapping in the nose piece. On the new clear frames, the gap is absolutely massive and there is no way the lens will go into the frame groove.

ITGPX4Kl.jpg

Anyway, any insights are appreciated. Hopefully I haven't been ripped off.

Thanks, Skye

Regarding the nosepiece, is it entirely molded to the frame? It should be removable as people have done XL swaps.

OK thanks! At least now I have a good reason to add to my Paypal dispute.

So all authentic Oakley frames have some other kind of hinge screw? It's really tiny I can't quite see what it is on my real frames.

The rubber part of the nosepiece pulls off, but it's just mounted on two straight posts. I just looked at my real frames and the rubber is mounted on a T-shaped mount. The rubber also feels a lot harder on the fakies.

OK thanks! At least now I have a good reason to add to my Paypal dispute.

So all authentic Oakley frames have some other kind of hinge screw? It's really tiny I can't quite see what it is on my real frames.
Real Radars have a pin in the hinge not a screw. A lot of fakes use Phillips screws and also write Oakley on the nose bridge when it's not supposed to be there.

Back