• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need a Oakley alternate for RB Wayfarer

AED

Oakley Enthusiast
I have a mid late 20s son, that wears the wayfarer, but in need of a new pair. He’s got a birthday coming up and looking for something in an Oakley. I bought him the crankshaft last year, but he didn’t like them and gave them to a brother.

Any recommendations?

Oakley Holston. They say it's based on Oakley's Jupiter Squared, but aside from an accent on the stems, it's a dead ringer from the front for Wayfarer (classic). It was introduced last year but is starting to get a little tricky to find.

If your son wants a bit taller lens like the RB Justin, look at Oakley Holbrook or perhaps Sliver. Holbrooks are everywhere, very easy to find in multiple styles, including metal, and mixed plastic/metal construction. Slivers are getting hard to find but have a few variants like Sliver R for a more rounded frame, similar to Wayfarers.

Frogskins are similar as well. The lenses are more rounded, especially on the bottom corners. Frogskins also have a keyhole bridge.

It's a good point though, it's similar enough to look at as an option. The Wayfarer look is imitated by many brands. Holston is pretty damn close, and now that they're both Luxxotica Group assets, no threat of patent infringement.

Great help...thanks. Looking for a low key blackout style at a good price, as I think he may like the matte black grey prism model

Great help...thanks. Looking for a low key blackout style at a good price, as I think he may like the matte black grey prism model
That exact pair are one of my go-to everyday wear. Prizm Grey is a great versatile lens, and the conservative look of the Holston frames suits many occasions. The matte black frame with grey Prizm lens was widely stocked, and should be fairly easy to find with retailers that carried Holston (not every Oakley retailer did, in my experience).

If you come across a Holston listed as the "Midnight Collection", it is nearly the same thing as the matte/grey Prizm. The Holston Midnight has a polarized lens, and on the stems it has an understated tapering grid pattern. Personally I'd go with the non-polarized pair you already chose, but if it proves hard to find, that's an alternate.

Back