• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need advice: Which is more rare..Penny or X-Squared?

gnuwolf

Oakley Beginner
Philippines
Hello,

I need you advice, I have a serilized Ti Penny and someone wants me to swap it to his XSquared XM. Is this a good swap/trade? Should I keep my Penny?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

What you need to consider are the condition of each one, and which style you like more. I believe the XS had a pretty short run, and has been very popular lately. Penny is also a great frame, and I don't see too many of those either. In the end, I think it will come down to personal choice. I'm sure others with more knowledge will be chiming in soon. FWIW I think the XS has been selling for more than the Penny lately, but just make sure you are not getting a fake. Hope this helps.

I find that more folks collect the Pennys and wear the X Squareds

I am not saying that folks do not wear Penny's, just that they seem to be more collectible, original/matched pairs - and folks looking for the X Squared are looking to wear them, frames only seem to be almost as desirable as the boxed. That could also have something to do with the serialization of most Penny's vs the lack of with an X Squared?

Personally I believe the Penny is far more collectible. all things being equal, frame for frame or boxed pair for boxed pair I would likely go with the Penny just about every time.

:whistle:

Do you have a large face or small one is most important if your going to wear them ? either of these have matching box and coin ? What is shape of the lenses on them, is nose bridge tight on it? I think a fare trade just depends. I would personally trade only because I would wear a X Squarded more then a penny. I sold my penny and my Ott because I didn't wear them. I am a wearer first a collector second..

What you need to consider are the condition of each one, and which style you like more. I believe the XS had a pretty short run, and has been very popular lately. Penny is also a great frame, and I don't see too many of those either. In the end, I think it will come down to personal choice. I'm sure others with more knowledge will be chiming in soon. FWIW I think the XS has been selling for more than the Penny lately, but just make sure you are not getting a fake. Hope this helps.
The X squared has gotten more exceptance as of late and prices reflect that. Oakley X metals go in cycles one seems to be hotter for a while then everyone posts and sells them market flooded price then goes down for a bit, then becomes stable again . Then another frame takes it's place and cycle begins again ;)

Last edited:
If you have a serial matched boxed penny, keep it and just but an x squared when the opportunity arises. If it is a loose pair and you either do not particularly care for the style/fit, swap for the XS. I would say both frames down the line will hold an equal value.

I own xs since new with a fresh set of vr28. And a new tune up and wouldint trade them for any other oakley other than something outrageous

Back