• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need Help Choosing What Sunglasses To Get First!!! (I Am A Beginner)

BennyBlaze

Oakley Beginner
Horsham, PA
Hi everyone, I am currently a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh. Since I am a college student I have VERY little money to spend on anything besides school. However, sunglasses are something I MUST have. My eyes are very sensitive to the sun and polarization is a must also. I did have a pair of white Gascan's with polarized grey iridium lenses but lost them (I have no idea how, but I'm an idiot). I think I might start my collection again by getting a pair of gloss black Gascan's, but the thing that bothered me about my white one's was that after a while the sides of my head would hurt from the pressure they exerted (these were regulars, not S's). Another option would be the flak or half jacket 2.0 because I need a pair of sunglasses to wear outside for physical activity. What are the main differences between the two? Also, what other sunglasses would be a good value for a college student?

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated, thank you.

Main difference between Flak Jacket and the Half Jacket 2.0 is fit. The Flak is a larger pair, wider nosebridge, slightly taller fit, wider at the temples.

You'd need to try them on to see which you like better.

If you like the Gascan style but felt they were a little snug the Fuel Cell is worth a look. It's very similar in style but a larger fit.

Take a look at the Oakley Sunglasses, Oakley Goggles, and Apparel - Oakley Vault website, that's Oakley's clearance website and they'll sell pairs there for less than retail. Some pairs get pretty cheap, others are a good % off, but the original price was pretty high to start and the discounted price is still well over $100.

Gascans are a touch small for me, and I think Antix are the most comfortable frame. If you don't like shield frames you can go for the Hijinx. Herbsley approved of that recommendation.

welcome..

like rustpot mentioned, try the fuel cells, they are bigger than the gascans. If you need a frame for sports, deff cant go wrong with the flaks..

If you don't like shield frames you can go for the Hijinx. Herbsley approved of that recommendation.

:rolleyes:

Actually, my view is if money is tight and you have to only buy one pair for both casual and sports use, see if you can pick up a Split Jacket for a good price somewhere.

That would be the ideal choice for your casual and sports wearing demands.

:rolleyes:

Actually, my view is if money is tight and you have to only buy one pair for both casual and sports use, see if you can pick up a Split Jacket for a good price somewhere.

That would be the ideal choice for your casual and sports wearing demands.

Thanks Herbsley, I was actually considering getting a pair a Split Jacket's from the Vault. 100 instead of 260 is quite the deal, along with soft vault, High Intensity yellow lenses, and the fact that the lenses are vented.

Back