• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need Help Identifying Finish

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
I recently bought a pair of Juliets described as plasma finish but they don't look like my other plasmas; I'd appreciate some help identifying what I got.

The finish is more matte and the hue not as silvery but still lighter than x-metal. Are these maybe titanium instead of plasma? I read a post by the x-man about how early generations were sand cast and rougher compared to later lost wax castings. These also have hints of left flashing so my first thought would be 1st gen. But, they have no serial number. Warranty frames? Refinished frames?

Here's a pic; they're the ones with the VR28 lenses sitting between a 4th gen plasma and a 4th gen x-metal:
20140131_151344.jpg

I also noticed a little bit of green corrosion near one of the orbital screwheads, if that means anything:
20140131_151421.jpg

Thanks for the help.

This is a question for BriP, I believe its a 1st gen plasma.

Thanks x-man, actually I hope to send these in to you along with those x-metals in the pic to the right (which need a tuneup anyway) to swap the orbitals, giving me a one ti02 / one negative ti02 set. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was dealing with first, if this pair was the right choice.

Also looking for similar work with a pair of 4th gen plasma and 4th gen carbon. And a couple others that just need tuneups.

Yeah, BriP seems to know his x-metal lineage pretty well, hopefully he'll stop by sometime.

I guess if were gonna refinish ill have them in my hands soon so I can see up close what they are.

I have a 1st gen plasma here pictured centre, between a 4th gen plasma and a 1st gen X Metal if this helps. Only natural light used to photograph.
86F28E5E-340C-4A0B-9486-EDABCA4EDF01_zpshplasl6e.jpg

These pics tell the whole story.....early Ti and plasma still confuse me.Ti finish is more subdued than plasma.

Thanks for the pic discostu. I also contacted the seller but all he could tell me was that they were from somewhere in the first four generations (gee, really?), had never been refinished, and were rarely worn.

Unless @BriP drops by and says differently, I'm gonna conclude that these are 1st gen plasma warranty frames. That said, I'd welcome y'all's opinions about my options on what to do with them.

My choices are:

- Proceed with my idea to hire the x-man to swap the orbitals (without any refinishing) with a pair of 4th gen x-metal finish, giving me a pair with 4th gen x-metal nose/stems/1st gen plasma orbitals and another pair with 1st gen plasma nose/stems/4th gen x-metal orbitals.

- Hire the x-man to refinish the 1st gen plasma frames to Ti02 and not do anything with the 4th gen x-metals (other than a tuneup).

- Leave these 1st gen plasmas alone and just tune up the x-metals.

- Some other good idea somebody suggests.

Regardless of what I end up doing with this pair, I still plan on doing that same orbital swap job with a pair of 4th gen plasma and a pair of 4th gen carbon, along with some other tuneups...

Back