• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need help with mumbo/mframe i.d.

So, I'm guessing the difference is in the geometry of the temple shape where they snap in?
Quite simply the first gen Mumbo/m frame had a smaller lens than the next gen 2. As @GRFMotorsports mentioned above, you can’t tell the difference in the lenses unless you put them side by side very closely. So load of folk just forced the newer gen 2 lens into the mumbo/gen1 which breaks the frame.
They’re not exactly brittle as even a snapped hinge for example, will still have flex in it.
Try breaking it some more and they usually just bend at the hinge joint. Same goes for the frame. If it is cracked inside edge it’s still usable with care and the right size lens.

Ps - eyeshade originals are virtually bombproof then and still today even the ones from 1984…

So why didn’t they keep using it….?

I’m calling ‘planned obsolescence’……Designed to fail?

Pps - the only true ‘Mumbo’ that’s is 💯 percent Mumbo without box is a fluorescent yellow frame. As that’s the only colour that only came in the original Mumbo box.

It’s only the box that says Mumbo on it and as you are aware most likely - Mumbo was contested by the clothing brand at the time Mambo. So they changed the name to m frame.

Pps - the only true ‘Mumbo’ that’s is 💯 percent Mumbo without box is a fluorescent yellow frame. As that’s the only colour that only came in the original Mumbo box.

It’s only the box that says Mumbo on it and as you are aware most likely - Mumbo was contested by the clothing brand at the time Mambo. So they changed the name to m frame.
I did not know either of these little tidbits!
Thanks for the info. The one instance I had breaking a gen 1 frame during a lens swap actually resulted in the frame breaking clean into 2 pieces just off of center. I'll never forget that sound.

I am lookin for a pair of M frames so I can install some Heater lenses. Do I buy the first generation M frames or the M2 frames?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am lookin for a pair of M frames so I can install some Heater lenses. Do I buy the first generation M frames or the M2 frames?
I'm pretty sure the "new mframe" will accept any heater lens, but it's not recommended to put "new" lenses in g1/g2 frames. I'm unsure about the M2 frame, but have successfully swapped g1,g2 and new mframe heaters in the "new mframe" frames. I'm sure someone will chime in with a better answer before too long, but it may help to start your own thread for wider views, especially if your looking to get your post count up. And Welcome aboard!

I'm pretty sure the "new mframe" will accept any heater lens, but it's not recommended to put "new" lenses in g1/g2 frames. I'm unsure about the M2 frame, but have successfully swapped g1,g2 and new mframe heaters in the "new mframe" frames. I'm sure someone will chime in with a better answer before too long, but it may help to start your own thread for wider views, especially if your looking to get your post count up. And Welcome aboard!
Could you give me an idea on the best place to pick up the ne mframes? Also I am ne to m frames and would like advice on things to look for and things to avoid.

Latest Posts

Back