• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need help with restoring an Oakley Mag Switch prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davoin Shower-Handel

Oakley Beginner
I'm looking for help restoring a pair of oakley mag switches with prototype lenses I got on ebay for about $170. They need new nose bombs because well, they don't have any, and also need new flex couplers because they are starting to get loose. I have read elsewhere on this forum that oakley romeo 2 nose bombs will be compatible (enough) to work, but am looking for verification from anyone who knows. I do understand that this pair is extremely hard to work on, but the way the flex couplers are installed seems to be basically identical to the juliet. I have also heard that if you use metal flex coupler pins they will "react" with the magnesium and erode it and am wondering if anyone knows a way to combat this issue, or if it really happens. Any input would be appreciated!

Screenshot 2022-05-25 1.20.10 PM.png

And here is some pictures from another forum of how the flex couplers attach and what they look like, I'm guessing juliet couplers would work on this?

Screenshot 2022-05-25 1.27.48 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-05-25 1.27.57 PM.png

ok well no one seems to be helping so that means I must take matters into my own hands and do it myself and show you in detail for future viewers
This is the tool I used to take the pins out, I don't know the name of it. But basically just push down on the pin from the inside of the glasses with slow but ample force and it should eventually come out.

IMG_1282.png

here is a picture of the pin
IMG_1283.png

Here is the remnants of the flex coupler, notice the 90 degree edges. those edges link into the frame unlike juliets so keep that in mind
IMG_1285.png

I've ordered romeo 2 nosepads and juliet flex couplers off ebay and they should be here by june 2, I will update you when I get them and see if they work anyway here is some random photos I took

IMG_1284.png

IMG_1286.png

IMG_1287.png

IMG_1288.png

Last edited:
Nice work. There are only handful of people who have attempted much on it and fewer who have been successful. There are a couple of detailed threads on here though

LG penny nose pads will work on a mag switch sir. Also, you can trim LG flex couplers to fit. Here are sample photos of some custom mags

View attachment 965566

View attachment 965567

View attachment 965568

View attachment 965569

View attachment 965570

View attachment 965571
Damn I wish you'd told me that before I bought the romeo 2 ones lol, we'll see how the romeo 2 nosepads fit though, someone in this forum said they would be the best alternative

I would love to send you my pair to get them professionally restored but unfortunately, I'm broke and have a car to pay off lol. Unless you can restore it for under 100 bucks which I understand is really low, I wouldn't be able to do that.
@Bonz-1 I can't respond to your pm for some reason, but I would just want new flex couplers and nose bombs, new earsocks would be nice but they're good enough and I know they are impossible to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back