• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need More Holbrook XL, what other frames are there?

KarlBlessing

I should Work at Oakley
West Michigan
Seems like they don't have as much options as the standard Holbrook, got a couple loose XL lens that I want to get fitted into frames rather than swapping so far standard I've found
  • Matte Black
  • Polished Black - Not a huge fan of it, didn't "feel" right
  • Black Ink (Faintly translucent polished black, darker red icon/rivets)
  • Crystal Black (More transparent polished black neutral tone, green rivets, polished chrome icons)
  • Grey Smoke (in between Crystal and Black Ink translucency, warmer tone)
  • Polished Clear
  • Matte White (Custom Only)
  • Matte Brown Tortoise
  • Crystal Red (Translucent, 50%-ish red, Custom Only)
  • Matte Rootbeer (Translucent, 75%-ish, Brown/Warm, Custom Only)
  • Woodgrain
  • Kokoro
Currently I have the bold for my Holbrook XLs, the italicized ones I kind of like pending other options out there.

Would be nice to see the Steel or Jade Fade in the XL size, and still hoping to see a XL Mix come onto the market, plus being able to get something like the 24K Lens in the XL size as a replacement lens.

I have these lenses specifically for the Holbrook XL, mainly want the 4th frame to be able to house DWP, SWP, Trail, and Tungsten without needing to swap out.
  • Prizm Black Non-Polarized (x2) - Came with the Brown Tortoise and Kokoro frames, I have no intention of using them and are just stored away.
  • Prizm Ruby (non-PL) - Like the look of the front, kind of 'meh' looking thru them, not likely to use them much.
  • Prizm Deep Water Polarized - My favorite for a 'neutral' but still warm look, but not as warm or contrasty as SWP, but warmer than Prizm Daily Polarized.
  • Prizm Shallow Water Polarized - My bright favorite until I got the Tungsten, is a tad warmer than the Tungsten giving that 'golden hour' look all day.
  • Prizm Tungsten Polarized - My favorite lens so far for brighter conditions, love the contrast and warmth
  • Prizm Trail - My favorite lens out of everything if it's not blinding bright out
Far as the XL frames go, did they make anything more than what I listed above? Anything notable that was probably just a limited run?

Thinking it would have been cool if they made something textured like the woodgrain, but has the kokoro style pattern on it, love it when there's close to a sort of sandblasted texture feel to it, more so than the typical matte.

i think you have all the frame colors accounted for. About the only way to get more unique colors would be to have somebody on here custom paint/finish a pair of frames for you, which isn’t too uncommon. I’m honestly not sure who on the forum is known for doing custom work. Could anybody else chime in?

i think you have all the frame colors accounted for. About the only way to get more unique colors would be to have somebody on here custom paint/finish a pair of frames for you, which isn’t too uncommon. I’m honestly not sure who on the forum is known for doing custom work. Could anybody else chime in?
A custom take on the XL would be cool. Shame the material isn't to my knowledge well suited for Cerakote coating (unless someone knows otherwise). But the other issue I can imagine is that the manner in which you swap the lens would affect the coating.

Being kind of the artsy type of person, I think a custom paint like you said might be the next logical way to go.

20210829_120355-01.jpeg

Currently other frames/lens I have are :
  • Latch Alpha Gunmetal w/ Prizm Sapphire Polarized, don't mind the frame, kind of cool, but not that big a fan of the lens and to my knowledge I can't just switch em out for something I like.
  • Flak 2.0 XL (standard Black, mixed it up by putting blue ear socks on, silver polished icons), currently fitted with Prizm Deep Water Polarized, in a case that also holds Prizm Trail, and Prizm Low Light, Kind of a ready-for-any-weather soft case, but might sell/trade this pair along with the trio of lens.
  • Flak 2.0 XL that was originally a Chicago Bears combination with the bright orange icons, took the black ear socks from my first Flak 2.0 XL, and put in Prizm Trail Torch lens.
  • Clifden Custom Rootbeer frame, gunmetal icons, Prizm Snow Sapphire lens, lens is kind of nice, sort of a subtle trail but nice for bright beach/snow. Though kind of wish I had a stronger contrast lens in the Clifden to take advantage of that lack of backglare.
Also used to have the Clifden with SWP, Wire Tap 2.0 Pewter, Savitar with Rose Gold (reeaalllly not a fan of that lens), Sliver Edge, and Mercenary (last two sat way too close to my eye lashes).

But in the end, the frames I end up grabbing the most has been the Holbrook XL, they're comfortable, they fit nice, they seem to give me the least annoyance when the sweat comes on etc, and good lens coverage without being a sporty goggle. The Flak 2.0 XL being my next fave.

Anytime you have one custom painted you def have to be careful swapping the lenses. When I paint a frame, I decide what color lenses I want for it and once in I never remove them.

Anytime you have one custom painted you def have to be careful swapping the lenses. When I paint a frame, I decide what color lenses I want for it and once in I never remove them.
That's been my thinking as well, since the edges are going to become thicker, but also the paint/etc material may not hold up well to the required bending or snapping needed to swap.

So if the custom were to end up as an EDC I'd really have to decide what lens gets married into it.