• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need Some Info Regarding A Set Of Pennys

oversjl78

Oakley Beginner
Today I received a set of Pennys that I had sent to him to have a complete tune-up on and since they were originally done in plasma, I had them coated in X-Metal instead. That being said, I couldn't be happier, but I have a few questions.

I purchased these from a guy on eBay, and I'm sure Mark can testify after having them, that they are 100% legit. The issue is, there was no serial number on them when I received them. I don't know if it had worn off, or never came with one in the first place.

I say that, because I read an article some time ago that said on very early generation Pennys, several actually went out with serial numbers. It wasn't until after the fact, that serial numbers started popping up on them. I don't know how true that statement actually is. I mean it made sense to me in text, but I just don't know how to feel about it. Unfortunately for me, I had been looking for a set of Pennys at the right price for 5 years before jumping on them. I had never actually worn them before, so I was unaware that they are slightly smaller than the Juliets, which fit my face perfectly.

I'm in a position now, where I had work done to the glasses (which needed to be done badly), but now I want to sell them, so I can just buy a new set of Juliets. When wearing the Pennys in comparison to the Juliets, they're small enough that it looks like I'm wearing a set of children's glasses. It's not that they're too short, it's just that they're not as wide as the Juliets are.

1st question to you seasoned vets: Since there was no serial number on the glasses when I received them in Plasma, what does that mean exactly, considering that they are a legit pair? Are they an early first generation and the guy I bought them from just didn't realize what he had?

2nd question: How do I go about marketing these to sell? I'm no idiot, so I know how expensive Pennys in particular are, especially considering that they are getting harder to come by for a decent amount of money. Do I advertise them as being an original plasma, or do I market them as X-Metals, since that's what they are and always will be?

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's the first time that I've ever owned a pair, and they are in absolutely pristine, like new condition, thanks to Mark. I need to know about this lack of serial number and what that means for what specific generation they fall into. The last thing that I want to do is mislead someone.

I don't know if this helps, but I replaced the original lenses that came with it, with Ruby Quartz lenses, however the original lenses that came with them are the Ruby Iridium, NOT the Fire Iridium. Someone told me that the Ruby Iridium was only available on the first generation Pennys. I don't know how true that is, but it's what I was told. He also sent a second pair of Ice Iridium lenses as well. So now I've got a set of an unknown generation Pennys with no serial number, sporting Ruby Quartz lenses, with Ruby and Ice Iridium backups.

Please help!

X Metals were released after 2004 without serial numbers. Shortly after this the Penny model would have been discontinued, so the last/later models will not feature a serial number whatever the frame/lens combination. Your best option I would say would be to sell them on this forum with a full transparent explanation as you have given here, stating that they originally were a plasma Penny but have been blasted to an x metal finish. I see no difference in their value to be honest in the changing of their colour and as long as this is mentioned there will be no problems I can forsee whatsoever. Post a few good photos and they should fly :)

The plasma penny also would have originally been released with the ice lens installed and regarding the generations of the ruby lens, the first generation ruby would have been within an x metal frame with am XM serial number. There were however later releases of the x metal/ruby combination without a serial number if this helps, which are still fairly sought after. The earlier ruby lenses were particularly darker than the later issues. Penny's were not actually released with fire lenses at all. As for earlier models being released without a serial number I have not heard of this at all. All early models should feature a serial.

To the best of my knowledge these are a warranty pair or a later pair per Stu.
If Mark did them they have a fantastic finish that IMO is better than original.
When you are able to put them in the marketplace and disclose that Mark has blasted these and tuned them up.
That will enhance the value of them.
Now onto the lenses, I'm not sure how an OEM set of ruby found their way into a plasma frame. They may be real and they may be aftermarket.
To me a frame with aftermarket lenses have the value of the frame only. Hard really to say without seeing all the lenses but it would be really useful to have the extra lens boxes for posterity.
But when you can, list them here to the best of your ability and price them where you think they should be.
You can always drop the price over time but you can't (shouldn't) raise it.

a good Ti02 pair would have fetched a bit more, had I known you were going to flip em I could have given you that info. Lets see what happens on the forum though.
and thanks for the generous comments.

The plasma penny also would have originally been released with the ice lens installed and regarding the generations of the ruby lens, the first generation ruby would have been within an x metal frame with am XM serial number. There were however later releases of the x metal/ruby combination without a serial number if this helps, which are still fairly sought after. The earlier ruby lenses were particularly darker than the later issues. Penny's were not actually released with fire lenses at all. As for earlier models being released without a serial number I have not heard of this at all. All early models should feature a serial.
Yes, the Ruby Iridium lenses that I have are MUCH darker than the newer lenses. They have a deep purple hue to them in low light situations especially.

To the best of my knowledge these are a warranty pair or a later pair per Stu.
If Mark did them they have a fantastic finish that IMO is better than original.
When you are able to put them in the marketplace and disclose that Mark has blasted these and tuned them up.
That will enhance the value of them.
Now onto the lenses, I'm not sure how an OEM set of ruby found their way into a plasma frame. They may be real and they may be aftermarket.
To me a frame with aftermarket lenses have the value of the frame only. Hard really to say without seeing all the lenses but it would be really useful to have the extra lens boxes for posterity.
But when you can, list them here to the best of your ability and price them where you think they should be.
You can always drop the price over time but you can't (shouldn't) raise it.
The aftermarket Ruby Quartz lenses were purchased by me. I did the same thing with my Juliets, however I still have the original lenses. When I purchased the glasses, the came with Ruby Iridium lenses installed in the frames and then a set of Ice Iridium lenses were also in the box. Both of those sets of lenses are Oakley originals. The Ruby Quartz are not. I purchased them, because (especially for my juliets) I found that the Ruby Iridium didn't give me the purple in the red that I was looking for. My Juliets originally shipped in Fire Iridium. I then purchased Ruby Quartz lenses for them, because at least for the Juliets, any Ruby Iridiums that I could find just didn't have the color I was looking for.

When I list them, I will put them up with the Ruby Iridium lenses in them, and the Ice Iridium and Ruby Quartz will be separate and at the discretion of the buyer, as to exactly what lenses they want to sport, but all will be included.

a good Ti02 pair would have fetched a bit more, had I known you were going to flip em I could have given you that info. Lets see what happens on the forum though.
and thanks for the generous comments.
Honestly, that was not my intention at all. A part of me still doesn't want to give them up, because I waited 5 years to find them at the right price.

When they originally first arrived, the nose bridge was so loose that I couldn't get them to fit properly, and I thought they looked smaller, but since they wouldn't fit snugly, it was impossible to determine. I sent them to you, in hopes of getting done, exactly what you did. When getting them back yesterday, that's when the reality of "they really are too small for my face" set in. I figured since that were the case, I could sell them, buy a new pair of Juliets, and then have both pairs of Juliets worked the way that I had previously discussed, with one having a restoration and the other being done in white.

The original plan was to keep the Pennys in X-Metal and stand in for my Juliets, and then the Juliets were to be tuned-up and blasted, then coated in white. I was then going to sport blue accents with the white version and wear those during the Fall and Winter, and keep the Pennys for Spring and Summer. Now I'll just do it with 2 sets of Juliets instead.

One good thing that did come out of finding out that they were too small is that I get to keep my first pair of Juliets original now, whereas, I was going to have a color change done. Now I can just do the color change on a secondary pair that I'll grab, and feel a little better about it.

I just didn't want you to think that my intentions were to have you do them up, so I could turn a profit. That absolutely was not the case. That's why I had ordered the Quartz lenses for them. I fully intended on sporting them.

no ,that's not what I meant by that,there your glasses and you do whatever you need to do with them.i was just trying to help in getting you more for your buck.i made money doing the job and I want to see you make money too.if you should want to make some money on a crappy craigslist pair I will rebuild and finish so you can post them as professionally refinished pair and get the most for your money.and for you ill give you a 30% off deal on the next pair.

no ,that's not what I meant by that,there your glasses and you do whatever you need to do with them.i was just trying to help in getting you more for your buck.i made money doing the job and I want to see you make money too.if you should want to make some money on a crappy craigslist pair I will rebuild and finish so you can post them as professionally refinished pair and get the most for your money.and for you ill give you a 30% off deal on the next pair.
Dude, you are the absolute best. Thanks for that!

Latest Posts

Back