• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New Frogskin - How Did These Fit?

I've never seen or even heard of a new frogskin. They should have named them something different cause they dont even remotely resemble the original.

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

2012-06-09134904.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 297
  • 2012-06-09134904.jpg
    2012-06-09134904.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 286
  • 2012-06-09134904.jpg
    2012-06-09134904.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 327
Just snagged a NIB matte black pair, that might be it for me. Crystal black is seemingly popular, I've seen 5-6 of them in this time. Also the one matte clear I got, a couple beat-to-hell rootbeer, a NIB rootbeer/polarized, the tortoise I got with some wear but pretty decent, and the one [matte] black I just snagged.

Shortly contemplated getting the whole set, but I don't really want the white pairs and I don't want to keep buying pairs that are pretty likely to not last very much longer. I think 3 will be enough to cycle between for a couple years. Unless I see a black/grey polarized, then it's game on.

I've got a line on a couple auctions that aren't accurately describing the pair and likely won't bring a high bid, if anyone is interested PM me. Not new condition on those.

Don't get to see these very often, they seem to be something of a forgotten model in the Oakley range.
q1fd.jpg

I loved these back in the day, which I guess was the late '90s and bought several pairs, having started off with the original Frogskins.

A couple of posters mentioned these were prone to cracking - well, you can see for yourself on the white/blue iridium and black/grey pairs :(

The Texas Tea ones are a replacement pair too, the original pair cracked in exactly the same way. The cracks are in the same place and if you look at the crystal/black pair, you can see the stress marks in the same area, which are likely to be the precursor to a crack on those as well. Shame, as they are my favourite new Frogskin combo after the Texas Tea/Gold Iridium, which is just so distinctive.

Quite a small range compared to the earlier Frogskins, but with plenty of variety as you can see above!

The only thing that disappointed me about these, bar the propensity for cracking, was the lack of a model with +Red Iridium lenses as I always liked that look.

I recently bought my first pair of Holbrooks so may be retiring these, but I'll still keep them around - they've given more than 10 years of service each after all, and more than 15 for some of them!

Wow! Someone else who digs these!

My collection kind of took off after this thread. I think I have 15 now?

I'm missing the White/Blue, Black/Grey Polarized and Rootbeer/Gold Polarized. I have the rest.

This shelf is all of the unique colorways (the Jupiter Camo is custom).
8BD00199-F5FD-4E79-AB2C-65B99E8F0D73-11496-00000B40BC9E6E81_zpsd2749446.jpg

This shelf has other pairs and my duplicates.
54F746F0-0D49-4D58-91A3-F410E96F32F7-11496-00000B40B5317769_zps4febb58e.jpg

Sometimes being a bit of an inveterate hoarder can be useful. After searching in some drawers that I have literally not looked in in years, I turned up some more of the boxes for these (as well as a box for a ballistic case for the earlier Frogskin):

cltq.jpg

88wj.jpg

The Texas Tea pair with the picture label were a later pair, replacing the first pair I had, which succumbed to the cracking problem early on (I wore them a lot, they were my favourite frame finish of these Frogskins).

The "Frogskins II" label was applied by the retailer, it wasn't a name that Oakley used in promoting these - as Rustpot said earlier, they were simply called "Frogskin".

Last edited by a moderator:
The white/blue iridium pair, with a donor frame from a white/black pair, restored to wearable condition:

qf0p.jpg

Thanks to Rustpot for the enthusiasm and advice on these new Frogskins!

Back