• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New Gascan Creaky Hinge

kuriousj71

Oakley Beginner
Hi all,

Just bought a custom Gascan from my local O store.
I noticed when I open/close the stems that the left hinge makes a loud creaking noise.
My old Canteen hinges also used to lock in place more solidly when opening then these Gascans.
Is this normal and eventually works itself out or should I exchange for a new frame?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Just bought a custom Gascan from my local O store.
I noticed when I open/close the stems that the left hinge makes a loud creaking noise.
My old Canteen hinges also used to lock in place more solidly when opening then these Gascans.
Is this normal and eventually works itself out or should I exchange for a new frame?

Thanks in advance.

My sons GasCan's did this when he first got them last year, one hinge seamed a little tighter than the other but it freed its self off. His GasCan's do click into place but not with a solid click. I would expect there to be slight differences in frames as they are mass produced & assembled so i don't think you have anything to worry about. Remember you have a years manufacturing warranty against defect providing they have been purchased from an official Oakley retailer & you have the reciept to prove it so hold onto the reciept.

Ive had the same deal before. I would worry if they were too loose, I wouldnt worry too much about the creaking as it will work itself out.

If you want it to stop snap the leg off the frame then snap is back on. Problem solved.

Spray some lens cleaner into the crevice of the stem (when stem is closed). I do this on all my glasses, relieves friction in the plastic.

Imagine my disappointment when I discovered the title of this thread was not actually referring to the announcement of a new limited edition Gascan release.

The new Gascan Creaky Hinge.
Limited to 1000 pairs.

I was expecting a link to the Oakley site and everything.
And, ya know, Shaun or Gretchen explaining how they 'helped design them'.
"Yeah, cos like my garden gate when I grew up had a creaky hinge, which inspired me to pick up a board, erm, or something".

Imagine my disappointment when I discovered the title of this thread was not actually referring to the announcement of a new limited edition Gascan release.

The new Gascan Creaky Hinge.
Limited to 1000 pairs.

I was expecting a link to the Oakley site and everything.
And, ya know, Shaun or Gretchen explaining how they 'helped design them'.
"Yeah, cos like my garden gate when I grew up had a creaky hinge, which inspired me to pick up a board, erm, or something".
Is it a 24K type of creak? Those are limited to 10...5 online and 5 to dealers in Cuba

Nah - you're talking about the Supreme Creaky Hinge. That will be released in about 6 months - after Oakley is sure everyone has already bought the original.

Will do.

They might be pricey mind, due to the history behind how Oakley made the Creaky Hinge. It dates back to when Jim Jannard adopted two orphans named Shaun and Gretchen, with the idea to rear them into global superstars. They lived in a house with a creaky gate, and Jim started dreaming of the day when that same technology could be applied to a sunglass.

Now the technology is here, so I expect that this, coupled with all that history (and the work that Oakley's marketing department have put in writing a little story) will result in the Supreme Creaky Hinge being in the 'Elite' Range.

It seems that the OP is lucky to have bought, clearly, a store demo model of this revolution in eyewear.

(I jest, of course. In case Oakley's legal team is watching).

Back