• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New Here, Have A Couple Fairly Easy Questions (about Flak Jackets)

Toasted

Oakley Beginner
Midwest

New question, down on post #10!!

Hello all,

Just signed up for an account, have been lurking for awhile now.
My first question is about the XLJ lenses for the flak jacket frames. I have been told that the xlj lenses became slightly bigger (than previous years), and the curve at the bottom became slightly more pronounced in mid 2011. Is this true? I tried searching (both here and google) and couldn't find much info. If anyone could fill me in, that'd be greatly appreciated.

My second question is: Does anyone have any pictures of the 2008 Model white/text flack jackets (originally have Positive Red Iridium lenses, but that's not important for the picture I'm looking for) with white ear socks rather than the black ones? I like the all white look, but not sure how it'll look with the text on the frames.

link to the frames if needed for reference: http://www.o-review.com/images/Jackets/FlakJacketXLJ_WhiteText_Red.jpg

Thanks

Hello all,

Just signed up for an account, have been lurking for awhile now.
My first question is about the XLJ lenses for the flak jacket frames. I have been told that the xlj lenses became slightly bigger (than previous years), and the curve at the bottom became slightly more pronounced in mid 2011. Is this true? I tried searching (both here and google) and couldn't find much info. If anyone could fill me in, that'd be greatly appreciated.

My second question is: Does anyone have any pictures of the 2008 Model white/text flack jackets (originally have Positive Red Iridium lenses, but that's not important for the picture I'm looking for) with white ear socks rather than the black ones? I like the all white look, but not sure how it'll look with the text on the frames.

link to the frames if needed for reference: http://www.o-review.com/images/Jackets/FlakJacketXLJ_WhiteText_Red.jpg

Thanks

Not sure about your first question, I haven't heard of any change in lens shape.
With regards to your second question, you might be able to find a pair in the WTB thread, but hopefully one of the more seasoned members will post. Welcome to the forum!!!

Welcome!

The lens did get a slight change, taller and the curve came out more toward the corner for more coverage. I liked the old version better for the style of the glasses, but the new cut worked a lot nicer while wearing.

Can't help with white text/white, but here's one for your consideration.

Red rubber, similar to the white text/+red Radar
3465154081_156fe4aa6b.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys.Ill have to dig in the WTB threads and see if I can't find anything. Rustpot, I really like that color combo you have going there. I'm looking for a new set of lenses just to switch out my positive red xlj's for awhile. I have the XLJ now, got a new pair and they were slightly bigger so I wanted to make sure they were authentic. Now I can't decide if I want to stick the the xlj's (I'm not sure I like the "bigger" style xlj's) or if I should go with the regular shaped lenses

The lenses have become bigger. I was kinda mad about it, the old style I could pull off with the size of my face, the new model is a little too big and I can't buy the XLJ lenses anymore. I noticed this when I bought my clear XLJ lenses to be able to wear my flaks as safety glasses here at school in the labs.

I have a pair of full white flaks with +red lenses, but with no text. I love the look!

So I guess I can't get to the WTB section just yet (need more posts) Anyone have an idea of another good place to look for this color combo?

Also for those of you with multiple lens sets for your jackets, which ones do you most often use (XLJ or regular)? I'm just curious, I went to a local sports store and tried on a pair with regular shaped lenses still couldn't decide. The guy helping me said most people go with XLJ's, but also told me the size has never changed so I was just curious as to what you all go with. It's not really going to help me make my decision, it's just out of pure curiosity.

So I guess I can't get to the WTB section just yet (need more posts) Anyone have an idea of another good place to look for this color combo?

Also for those of you with multiple lens sets for your jackets, which ones do you most often use (XLJ or regular)? I'm just curious, I went to a local sports store and tried on a pair with regular shaped lenses still couldn't decide. The guy helping me said most people go with XLJ's, but also told me the size has never changed so I was just curious as to what you all go with. It's not really going to help me make my decision, it's just out of pure curiosity.

I more often than not use standard size lenses. I have 2 sets of XLJ's that I use when I need a little more coverage, such as when I go to the electrical or concrete labs here at school, but on a day to day basis I have standard size lenses in my frames :smile:

I judge the lens I need based on coverage.

For example when I put on a Radar with the Path lens (the smallest and most popular) the edge of the lens is easily visible in my peripheral vision and I can poke my lower eyelid with my finger without going between the lens and my eye. Too small.

Going up to the Pitch the edge of the lens is lower and gives me much better coverage. The Range gives me the best coverage of the 3.

Choosing a normal pair of glasses I do the same thing. If the bottom of the frame blocks a lot of vision or leaves large gaps I can easily see in my peripheral vision I know they're too small.

Just as an FYI, there aren't any white text frames up for sale at the moment on the forum. The white text frame was just blown out on the Vault website, so Vault stores might have pairs available if you live near one.

The picture I posted isn't mine. But if you look closely you'll notice the center of the icon is black, that part doesn't change with the earsocks and will be black on your frame even if you put white socks on it.

I'm not actually looking for a pair to buy, I have the white/text I just wanted to see what white earsocks looked like on them to see if I liked it enough to get some for my set. I'm fine with the middle of the O still being black, it's not that big of a deal for me. I think I'm going to need to go back to the store and try the regular shaped lenses again haha I just can't decide. Is there a way of telling when the lenses were manufactured? Would it be possible to go the Scheel's or somewhere that has a large inventory and still get a set that was manufactured/boxed before the size change (in reference to XLJ lenses)?

No body knows? If the lenses don't have a manufacture date then I'm going to snag a pair off ebay since my chances of getting the smaller XLS's is just as high. Just need to know ASAP so I can bid. If there are dates on the box anyone know before what month I should make sure they were boxed?

Latest Posts

Back