• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New Here - Replacement Lens Question

rbryant76

Oakley Beginner
I have lurked for awhile and have some questions.

First off, my OEM lenses (about 3 years old) are the polarized black iridium. They are the Half Jacket (1.0) XLJ.
The coating has started to come off. I am not sure how it happened (they were exposed to salt water/mist one time, and pool water several times). I did not know this, but recently read that both types of water are bad for this kind of lens.

My first question...are ANY Oakley lenses safe for the pool/ocean? If so, I will just buy a set and replace when in such conditions.

Since the coating is coming off,. I decided to try out Revant. The lenses look great, but after messing with them this morning, I just cant get them to fit. I think they might be for the 2.0 but am unsure. I cant contact the company since their site is down...not a good sign for marketing/business. These are going to go back. I also looked at EyeKon but they are out of stock it appears.

So I know this is an Oakley forum and probably 99% recommend going with OEM lenses. I just hate thinking i have to spend $90 on a set of replacement lenses that will eventually get scratched (even though I do take good care of them, they are bound to eventually show some wear).

So that being said, do many of you just stick with OEM replacement lenses? If so, where is the best place to shop to get the best price?

Thanks for all your input.

The aftermarket lenses are purely style over substance in my opinion. Stick with OEM whenever possible. To me the extra price is worth it in the long run. I always check oakleyvault.com for lenses to see what they throw on there. You are in luck. They have HJ XLJ BIP on there for 62.99 currently.

http://oakleyvault.com/product/half-jacket-xlj-accessory-lenses/13-410

Otherwise, sometimes on ebay you can find deals on OEM lenses or once you are able to on the forum, check out the Exchange section.

Wow 62 is not bad..they also have twenty lenses on there..which is my other pair. Very nice. I think I'll snag a set. Still will like others opinions and what about pool/salt water damaging finishes?

I use my Oakleys in all conditions. As long as you clean them afterwards you shouldn't have any future probelms. There are multiple "How to clean" threads on the forum.
As for aftermarket lenses, you are correct, most of us can't stand them.
Your last question about getting them cheaper, you are in luck they are on the Oakley Vault for $29.99 - $62.99 with multiple choices.
http://oakleyvault.com/product/half-jacket-xlj-accessory-lenses/13-410

Also I believe you can use the regular Half jacket lenses as well for more choices.
http://oakleyvault.com/product/half-jacket-reg-accessory-lenses/13-527

It's the Iridium coating that tends to get goosed by foreign substances such as salt, sweat, etc.

Why not go for a non-Iridium lens (Grey, Bronze, etc). Yes, they might be more 'boring' than their Iridium coated cousins, but they may be more fitted to your particular purposes.

And, yeah, always clean/wash your lenses if you think they have been soiled in any way.

Thanks for the replies. I have a OEM setup of lens coming from the Vault.

Also, Revant contacted me back stating the lens should fit however defects happen. I am toying with the idea of them just sending me a new set and seeing if those fit. Then I cam accurately compare differences.

I've never seen the point of buying non-Oakley lenses to put in an Oakley frame.

It's like buying a Ferrari then swapping the engine out for a one litre diesel from a Ford Fiesta. Completely defeating the object of buying the original quality product.

I agree with you, but buying a 90 lens and getting a scratch sucks big time. I'm very careful but stuff happens..sometimes to brand new lenses :)

But that is what I'm saying.
Buy a non-Iridium lens (same great Oakley optics, and usually cheaper than the Iridium lenses), and take good care of them too.

Back