• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New lenses for my juliets.

I got these juliets through a trade from @LostinOhio a while back. First x metals I ever owned!!!! Came with black iridium lenses but I wasn't a fan.
Decided to get some custom cuts by @InfiniteHero and damn!
I got some flak xlj PRIZM road for my juliets. Fit perfect. Looks awesome.
And some XX lenses. Polarized Sapphire iridium out of turbines.
Both look sweet but I wish I could make is close 100% on the xx. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, don't think so.... is it maybe because of the diff. Lens curve? Either way it's close enough for me. I'm satisfied. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 1445577893210-1336873163.jpg
    1445577893210-1336873163.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 1445577946735-429336451.jpg
    1445577946735-429336451.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 1445577990025109510562.jpg
    1445577990025109510562.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 207
The thing is, due to the manufacturing process there's slight variations from frame to frame; when lenses are cut from a standardized template sometimes they don't fit perfectly in certain frames. That's why some hand cutters like XMM have you send in your frames with the cuts, so they can adjust for those variations.

Still, it's better that they're too big than too small...

What you can do is a little DIY fitting. First step is to figure out where they're too big - stacking them with OEM lenses and looking for overlap might help, but otherwise you just have to look at where the stress point is on the orbital when you try to close them. Then use some fine sandpaper to wear down the offending edge. Do it a little at a time so you don't take off too much...

The thing is, due to the manufacturing process there's slight variations from frame to frame; when lenses are cut from a standardized template sometimes they don't fit perfectly in certain frames. That's why some hand cutters like XMM have you send in your frames with the cuts, so they can adjust for those variations.

Still, it's better that they're too big than too small...

What you can do is a little DIY fitting. First step is to figure out where they're too big - stacking them with OEM lenses and looking for overlap might help, but otherwise you just have to look at where the stress point is on the orbital when you try to close them. Then use some fine sandpaper to wear down the offending edge. Do it a little at a time so you don't take off too much...
Still, it's better that they're too big than too small... <<<-------- THAT SIR IS WHAT SHE SAID!!!! :rofl:

Lost wax casting is a QA nightmare. You end up with tolerances you can drive a truck through. A lot like automotive come to think of it....

Latest Posts

Back