• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New Oakley Turbine Sunglasses

Protagonist

Oakley Beginner
Hi

Been reading the forum for a while and been into Oakley for a good 16 years, but only just got my first pair!
Seems like a great community, so hi all

Got a pair of Turbine Sapphire Fades:
Oakley Turbine PRIZM Polarized Sapphire Fade Collection in Sapphire Fade / Prizm Sapphire Polarized

main_oo9263-3663_turbine_sapphire-fade-prizm-sapphire-polarized_001_118411_png_hero.jpg

Got these from an authorised UK online retailer - sunglasses-shop.co.uk

However first pair have a small crack in the frame right where it meets in the lens on the bottom right

Got a replacement pair, expecting them to be the same minus the fault, but they're a bit different!

First pair have a yellow tint when looking through, but otherwise neutral.
They enhance green and red, so cut down on the blue light I believe.

Second pair have a notable pink/red (fuscia?) tint

No lens:
XDOOhDq.jpg

Prizm Sapphire Polarized -Turbine 1:
3tm9l5j.jpg

Prizm Sapphire Polarized -Turbine 2:
pz5o3sv.jpg

Thought that may be interesting to those looking at the new Prizm daily lenses as well.

Outside of the lens - first pair are blue, with notable purple fade.

Second pair are light blue, with yellow in the centre and only a hint of purple at the lens extremes (corners)

First pair frame is also a touch darker.

Differences to the placement of the SKU/model info on the side arm too.

I assume these aren't fakes, so wonder if they're just clearance models from different times/regions.

Or quality control is just not what you'd expect?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Was also wondering if anyone can recommend a case for these?
I assume most will fit, like the large soft vault case - but can't find an updated list of compatible frames etc.
Also seen the carbon fibre case and metal case online
So would be great to know which are compatible and any recommendations/preferences.
Thanks!

Very strange ...... btw, why did they let you keep the first pair, didn't they have to have the fault pair back before you got the new pair.

They had very limited stock.
They had 3 pairs of the Sapphire Turbine Fades (polarized), and 3 pairs of Ruby Turbine Fades (not polarized)
The Sapphire's sold out very quickly, then the ruby's too.
Then they had 1 Sapphire again and 3 Ruby's.
I ordered 1 Sapphire - which is my first pair, and they were then out of stock.
Couple of weeks later they had 1 Saphire and 1 Ruby in stock again, and I bought one of both.

As was worried if I waited for the return and replacement that it'd be sold out by then (very likely).

Now I'll return the first pair and get a refund.

Definitely a manufacturing fault on the frame of the first pair, so refund shouldn't be a problem.

But I guess I could contact Oakley and get them to replace it instead under warranty?

I do wonder if both these pairs are previous customer returns.
So they didn't get more stock, people just returned them as they didn't like them perhaps.
And I ended up buying one of those.

Or perhaps they're even selling the faulty stock again.

The second pair actually had some micro glitter on the frame by the bottom right lens, where the lens meets the frame - and it was the colour of the lens.

It's as if there's an issue in that area when they're put together.

Really I'd like the first pair's lenses in the second pairs (not broken) frame.
Actually prefer the first pair's slightly darker frame but they have the crack.

Can the lenses be swapped easily?
Shouldn't be a problem as faulty shades need to go back to Oakley anyway I imagine.

Very interesting, and yes, if folks are returning them and not telling the store the glasses are faulty they will of course sell them again.
Hopefully they won't sell them again if they know they are faulty, but of course we will never know........

Lens swap easy? i don't know......they are pretty big lenses, i would think it´s a bit more difficult than the smaller lenses.....especially if one has small hands ( #Trump ) ........if you have big hands, feet....etc.......like me, i would think it will go smoothly. ;)

:drinks:

@Protagonist in my opinion the lenses are pretty easy to swap
Can you show some pics on them. Maybe they gave you another model.
I got my Ruby and Sapphire fades from them too but from the Swedish site and they was BNIB and perfect

Last edited:
Cheers. Ahh yeah, even watched this before, oops:

Any case recommendations for the Turbine?

Large soft vault?
Carbon fibre?
Metal case?

Was also wondering if anyone can recommend a case for these?
I assume most will fit, like the large soft vault case - but can't find an updated list of compatible frames etc.
Also seen the carbon fibre case and metal case online
So would be great to know which are compatible and any recommendations/preferences.
Thanks!
I use the Ballistic Sunglass Case to my Turbines. I have Square O hard cases too but i haven't tried with turbines in that yet

I use the Ballistic Sunglass Case to my Turbines. I have Square O hard cases too but i haven't tried with turbines in that yet

Can you let me know if your Turbines fit in the hard case?

May get that instead, as plan to get some prescription Oakley's at some point and I understand they come with a soft case, which I would have otherwise bought.

Carbon vault (and to an extent the metal vault) seem nice for display use/indoor use, but they don't seem well suited to throwing in a bag.

But I've not handled them in person.

Latest Posts

Back