• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New Oakley X-Metal Sunglasses Coming?

subysti2007

Oakley Enthusiast
Sacramento, CA
I went to vault today and was talking to the sales guy and he told me that they received news from oakley HQ that they will stop producing all current x-metals and making "new" ones by 2013. According to him, oakley will close the x-metal plant but has a big plan for the x-metal product line for 2013...I wonder what would be the new line of x-metals they are planning? hopefully Romeo 1s and XX, penny and Mars!!! What do you guys think? I don't know if this is true or not...

I confirmed this today, the current plant will be closing... But my source had no information on a re-opening of a new facility... Metal Heads dont panic just yet, I will be getting updates but I know the hoarding will start when the word gets out to the GP...

If true I'd assume Lux. has finally decided it's too expensive to run a separate titanium plant for relatively low volume product.

The whole reason the Ti plant was separate to begin with was because the massive furnaces necessary to cast titanium would have made it impossible to insure their HQ. So they are not going to just dump that plant if they intend to continue making them in the same way. I'd assume they will just do a "new" X-metal, but using aluminum alloy. Which, coincidentally they have experience with after the C-Six project.

Hmm... this all makes sense.

Kinda sad though. The X Metal line really impressed me and what ultimately made me an Oakley fanatic. If they are going to be using a new process, i wonder if it'll be better than their current one. Sad to see the Juliet go and the XS didn't even get much time to shine.

Yea knowing how things have been downhill after Jim Jannard, I wouldn't be surprised if Lux did this. It makes me wonder if it will improve the quality of the new metals they make, and will it make all our current stuff more valuable?

Yea knowing how things have been downhill after Jim Jannard, I wouldn't be surprised if Lux did this. It makes me wonder if it will improve the quality of the new metals they make, and will it make all our current stuff more valuable?
I wouldnt say things have gone downhill, they have just been different. There have been some great pairs, Artist Series, 3D, 24ks!!! Who knows they might surprise us!

Back