• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New Oakley X-Metal Sunglasses Coming?

just when i was just abt to get into the swing of things when it comes to Metals. dammit! panic button abt to be hit.

Friggin' damn it :(
The Juliet was my very first pair. And the X-metals are ultimately Oakley. Still planning to get an x-squared, maybe I don't have to wait too long anymore then I am afraid... Also my first Juliet came in pretty loose and needs a tune up since I got het (while she was new), maybe I have to send them in soon too...

Checked three sources of mine at HQ today and it IS happening and not a single one of them said that they know of any plans as far as opening a new facility...

Im a bit crushed over this as I am an X Metal freak, so like Jive I will be making moves towards hoarding some of the models I dont already have a pile of...

WHY Damn it WHY!?!?!?!

I would not expect them to open a new facility, as closing Dayton is likely a cost cutting measure. I think they are either going overseas, or will make them at Icon. You would need a special facility to do Ti forging or casting, so if it's being done at Icon they would almost have to be CNC'd, which would somewhat limit what you can do design wise. So the new ones could be more along the lines of the C-Six, but in Titanium.

I thought this would eventually happen once Lux took over. X-metals don't really make much sense from a business perspective, but I'd almost prefer they just kill them off entirely rather than come out with some half assed versions.

Time to put the pedal to the x metal folks and try to grab what you can :p. Jono hurry up and get a Romeo! You can spend bookoo bucks on very rare frogs so a Romeo should be an easy kill!

So what does this mean? Do we know?

Are X Metals as we know them done? If so, it's a sad day for the legacy of Oakley. Though impractical, X Metals were always the ultimate Oakley item.

I suppose when they discovered they could glue some aluminum (?) plates onto standard O-Matter frames and charge $600 - and people would actually buy them! - X Metal's fate was sealed.

Back