• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New Oakley X-Metal Sunglasses Coming?

I just had a chat with a friend of mine. Huge Metal collector and also lives in CA. He has a few connections in HQ and says that all his sources are saying the same thing and that this rumor is true. Who knows what the fate of X Metals will be. We know Lux is cutting productions costs. O Matter frames cost $6-12 to make while Metals are a lot more.

That's so lame. I just got into the X Metal series as well. They're so unique and out there. I don't understand why anyone would want to take that away from its consumers.

My thought is that Oakley will look to tweak their price points. Up until now, it has worked this way (using $ American):

Standard non-polarized O-Matter (80-120)
Special Edition O-Matter (120-150)
Polarized O-Matter (150-200)
Limited Edition / Oddball frames (200-250)
- price gap -
X Metals (350)
Polarized X Metals (400)
- price gap -
Lower Tier Elite (600-700)
- price gap -
Upper Crust Elite (1000+)

I wonder if, rather than retooling X Metal as we know it, we'll see styles similar to that line shift upwards to the Lower Tier Elite price range (which would cover expensive production costs), and a new line coming in to fill in those price gaps and take the overall 200-600 range (utilizing different materials - such as the Jury - or oddball frames suited best for collectors - OTT, but more substantial)

Just thoughts.

So what does this mean? Do we know?

Are X Metals as we know them done? If so, it's a sad day for the legacy of Oakley. Though impractical, X Metals were always the ultimate Oakley item.

I suppose when they discovered they could glue some aluminum (?) plates onto standard O-Matter frames and charge $600 - and people would actually buy them! - X Metal's fate was sealed.

agree with you dude. to me, X-metals defined Oakley, as the cutting edge leader in their field.

Love the x-metals, will be very sad if they truly stop them all togther. Juliets are the ultimate Oakley to me although all I seem to wear these days are my XSs.

from what ive heard, they are shutting down the plant in march. they will continue to make them all the way up through then. i've heard that they will be replacing them with something else but not exactly sure on what exactly they will be doing but heard its something sweet. The reason behind the plant not being in HQ is the metals used in x-metals are extremely explosive, cali wouldnt let them ust the titanium alloy mix in the state so they bought a huge old indoor driving range in NV in the middle of no where. its a sad day seeing the x-metals go, hopefully it will open the door for something just as good or better

Back