• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New Polarized Lenses

The chrome looks cool, and I'll probably add one to my collection at some point. But here's some food for thought:

I've made the case in some other posts that, when selecting lenses, the base tint, light transmission %, and polar / non-polar should all be factors you consider before color. Long story short, unless you plan on them being shelf whores, you'll spend a lot more time looking through them than you or anybody else will spend looking at them, and those three factors make the biggest impact on what it's like to look through them.

I have a pair of violet polar custom cuts and, as stunning as they are to look at, they really aren't my favorite to look through, especially in the bright light where the violet looks the best from the outside. I don't have a pair of the new chrome, but it looks like they have the same base tint as violet (someone can correct me if I'm wrong...)

And what color is chrome, anyway? Silver? We may often perceive it as silver, but it's actually whatever color it's reflecting, like a mirror (and I mean real-chrome-made-of-chromium). Heck, even the base word, "chroma", means "color"...

So check out this pic I posted on the "what are you wearing" thread last weekend:
index.jpg

Ooops, wrong picture - I mean this one:
IMG_9540.jpg

There we go...

With bright sunlight and my AWESOME hat keeping out any light leakage from getting behind the lenses, those things are PERFECT mirrors.

And what color are those lenses? Not chrome. Not even BIP. They are VR28 BIP, the most beautiful tint to look through, in my and many others' opinions.

So, I'm not saying not to get a set of chrome lenses; this is just food for thought...

Last edited:
^^^ yeah, those lenses that you posted are not chrome iridium (or the color that I believe the OP is thinking they will be releasing)...

I think the OP wants the same super douche lens that I do - the one where it looks identical to your VR28 BIP, but it looks a hair brighter in the brights...

Ray Ban calls them "Silver Flash" - Oakley calls them "Chrome Iridium"...

if Oakley made a Chrome Iridium Shield for my Radars/RadarLocks, I'd be all over it !!!!!

asos-silver-silver-aviator-sunglasses-with-mirror-lens-product-3-12632148-917954464_large_flex.jpeg

$T2eC16J,!)EE9s2ufWi2BR1mUhYfqg~~60_57.JPG

I might have to hit the Oakley store to look at some VR28 BIP Radar Paths to actually see what they look like.....

something tells me they won't be as "mirror like" as the ones you're wearing....

I might have to hit the Oakley store to look at some VR28 BIP Radar Paths to actually see what they look like.....

something tells me they won't be as "mirror like" as the ones you're wearing....

The light conditions have to be right. If you get light leaking behind the lenses, you can see a little of the VR28 tint.

The light conditions have to be right. If you get light leaking behind the lenses, you can see a little of the VR28 tint.
that's why I believe they will never be as mirror like as the silver flash RB's....

The chrome looks cool, and I'll probably add one to my collection at some point. But here's some food for thought:

I've made the case in some other posts that, when selecting lenses, the base tint, light transmission %, and polar / non-polar should all be factors you consider before color. Long story short, unless you plan on them being shelf whores, you'll spend a lot more time looking through them than you or anybody else will spend looking at them, and those three factors make the biggest impact on what it's like to look through them.

I have a pair of violet polar custom cuts and, as stunning as they are to look at, they really aren't my favorite to look through, especially in the bright light where the violet looks the best from the outside. I don't have a pair of the new chrome, but it looks like they have the same base tint as violet (someone can correct me if I'm wrong...)

And what color is chrome, anyway? Silver? We may often perceive it as silver, but it's actually whatever color it's reflecting, like a mirror (and I mean real-chrome-made-of-chromium). Heck, even the base word, "chroma", means "color"...

So check out this pic I posted on the "what are you wearing" thread last weekend:
View attachment 94341

Ooops, wrong picture - I mean this one:
View attachment 94345
There we go...

With bright sunlight and my AWESOME hat keeping out any light leakage from getting behind the lenses, those things are PERFECT mirrors.

And what color are those lenses? Not chrome. Not even BIP. They are VR28 BIP, the most beautiful tint to look through, in my and many others' opinions.

So, I'm not saying not to get a set of chrome lenses; this is just food for thought...

I have chrome polar for my holbrooks and theyre definitely a neutral neutral base lens. Violet has a much different hue when wearing, almost like a fire/green tint depending on angle and curve. Chrome, imho is just like bip but more silver on the outside and even less light transmission (at least for my holbrooks).

I have chrome polar for my holbrooks and theyre definitely a neutral neutral base lens. Violet has a much different hue when wearing, almost like a fire/green tint depending on angle and curve. Chrome, imho is just like bip but more silver on the outside and even less light transmission (at least for my holbrooks).

Thanks. I'll try to check out an example next time I'm at the Vault.

I'd be real surprised if the light trans % is lower; BIP is 9% and I haven't seen any Oakley lens with less...

based on my experience, violet iridium under direct sunlight, it makes everthing around me more yellow but doesn't really bother me..the dull sun makes it more vibrant..