• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New RX Quarter Jackets - Thanks Chris Hardaway!

23109VC

Oakley Beginner
I want to give a big THANK YOU to Chris Hardaway for helping me select a great pair of RX sunglasses!

My eyes have always been pretty bad, but about two years ago my RX altered in such a way that I was no longer able to wear contact lenses. As a result, I wear eyeglasses everywhere - and my ability to just toss on a pair of sunglasses went out the window. It's been about two years since my RX change - and it's really annoyed me that I couldn't wear RX lenses. I did try transitions lenses in one pair of glasses - and I hated them. I felt like they looked weird - and they did not get dark enough to really be of a lot of help in the sun.

I've also started doing a lot of road cycling - and now that I am outside a lot more - it REALLY has bothered me that I don't have sunglasses. So I decided to get a pair or RX glasses and I wanted Oakley's. I tried on a bunch of different frames and I ended up in the local lens crafters. It was the only local store that had a decent selection of oakleys to try on and that could order RX frames. Unfortunatley the people that worked there, while they tried to help, just didn't know enough about Oakley to be of much help. I got some misinformation - and was given incorrect info about what frames I could actually put my RX into. I have a very narrow face, and all the frames they claimed I had to choose from - were simply too big on me.

I found this forum, did some research, and many of you said to contact Chris. Chris actually reached out to me as well - and I started talking with him - sent him my RX and a couple phone calls later, I had a pair of RX sunglasses ordered.

I just wanted to publicly thank Chris - he knows his stuff. He had a great idea for frames. Since my face is small he suggested I try Quarter Jackets - kids glasses. I hit up the local sunglass hut and tried a pair on - and yes they are kid glasses - but they fit ME. so armed with the knowledge that Ic ould get my OLD MAN RX in a KID frame - I started the search for what lenses to get.

I was going to get black iridium OR Prizm road. yes - big difference. my dilemma was I wanted a lens that would work for cycling. but once I realized how much I would spend on these RX glasses - I wanted a pair that could be more versatile - and be of use as a daily wear pair of sunglasses. Chris's suggestion was to get 00Black iridium - as it would look more ilke "regular" sunglasses for day to day wear, but would be decent for riding due to the contrast it creates. I was able to check out some of those lenses at the local glasses store - and looked at prizm road (great for cyclinb but not so great as an everyday lens in my opinion) and also the 00iridium.

I really like the polarization - I know some cyclists don't want it - but I like it. I also love how the colors pop through the lens.

My RX is -4.75 in one eye and -5.5 in the other - so these guys are kind of thick..but because the lenses are smaller, and becuaes of how they wrap - you can't tell how tthick they are. the only person who will be able to see it would maybe be someone who is close enogh to kiss me - and if you're that close, I don't mind if you know I am blind. :)

Anyway - I LOVE these new frames. I haven not had sunglasses in 2+ years and it is sooooo nice to be outside and have a cool pair of shades. And a pair that FITS me. the lens is versatile - I can wear it everywhere and it will do a decent job on my cycling rides.

Chris is a great resource. He knew what to suggest and steered me in the right direction. I am sooo happy I found this forum, and found Chris. I ended up with a pair of shades I love.

thanks!!!

ry%3D400

I want to give a big THANK YOU to Chris Hardaway for helping me select a great pair of RX sunglasses!

My eyes have always been pretty bad, but about two years ago my RX altered in such a way that I was no longer able to wear contact lenses. As a result, I wear eyeglasses everywhere - and my ability to just toss on a pair of sunglasses went out the window. It's been about two years since my RX change - and it's really annoyed me that I couldn't wear RX lenses. I did try transitions lenses in one pair of glasses - and I hated them. I felt like they looked weird - and they did not get dark enough to really be of a lot of help in the sun.

I've also started doing a lot of road cycling - and now that I am outside a lot more - it REALLY has bothered me that I don't have sunglasses. So I decided to get a pair or RX glasses and I wanted Oakley's. I tried on a bunch of different frames and I ended up in the local lens crafters. It was the only local store that had a decent selection of oakleys to try on and that could order RX frames. Unfortunatley the people that worked there, while they tried to help, just didn't know enough about Oakley to be of much help. I got some misinformation - and was given incorrect info about what frames I could actually put my RX into. I have a very narrow face, and all the frames they claimed I had to choose from - were simply too big on me.

I found this forum, did some research, and many of you said to contact Chris. Chris actually reached out to me as well - and I started talking with him - sent him my RX and a couple phone calls later, I had a pair of RX sunglasses ordered.

I just wanted to publicly thank Chris - he knows his stuff. He had a great idea for frames. Since my face is small he suggested I try Quarter Jackets - kids glasses. I hit up the local sunglass hut and tried a pair on - and yes they are kid glasses - but they fit ME. so armed with the knowledge that Ic ould get my OLD MAN RX in a KID frame - I started the search for what lenses to get.

I was going to get black iridium OR Prizm road. yes - big difference. my dilemma was I wanted a lens that would work for cycling. but once I realized how much I would spend on these RX glasses - I wanted a pair that could be more versatile - and be of use as a daily wear pair of sunglasses. Chris's suggestion was to get 00Black iridium - as it would look more ilke "regular" sunglasses for day to day wear, but would be decent for riding due to the contrast it creates. I was able to check out some of those lenses at the local glasses store - and looked at prizm road (great for cyclinb but not so great as an everyday lens in my opinion) and also the 00iridium.

I really like the polarization - I know some cyclists don't want it - but I like it. I also love how the colors pop through the lens.

My RX is -4.75 in one eye and -5.5 in the other - so these guys are kind of thick..but because the lenses are smaller, and becuaes of how they wrap - you can't tell how tthick they are. the only person who will be able to see it would maybe be someone who is close enogh to kiss me - and if you're that close, I don't mind if you know I am blind. :)

Anyway - I LOVE these new frames. I haven not had sunglasses in 2+ years and it is sooooo nice to be outside and have a cool pair of shades. And a pair that FITS me. the lens is versatile - I can wear it everywhere and it will do a decent job on my cycling rides.

Chris is a great resource. He knew what to suggest and steered me in the right direction. I am sooo happy I found this forum, and found Chris. I ended up with a pair of shades I love.

thanks!!!

ry%3D400
Congrats and come give all of us some sloppy wet kisses you sexy bitch you!! :brunette:

Congrats! It feels great to be a kid again (or wear kids frames). Looking sharp! @Chris A Hardaway is definitely an asset to this forum.

Sent from Q's Note5

Great story.
Good on ya for doing the research before spending a pile on what must have been an intimidating choice.
Yes @Chris A Hardaway is a great asset here, and a great many of us are thankful for his assistance.
:hi:
Yes, 00Black is a great cycling lens.
Now get out and roll!!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the story! It's always good insight to hear about other peoples experience in finding Oakley's especially if you're getting prescription. I recently posted about how I just ordered my first rx pair and I too was very delighted with them. Surprisingly enough, I ordered mine online and actually had no issues. It was super easy and everything went super smoothly. I would suggest to anyone to find some prescription oakley's through a company called SportRx. They even upload sunglass reviews and compare the similar designs on youtube and write blog posts!

Hello @23109VC Would it be possible to take a photo of the lens edge please? I was thinking of going for the Flak 2.0 but my RX is -4 sphere / -2 cylinder and concerned the edge will be too thick, even with OTD II - I know you have the 1/4 jacket but it will give me an idea.

Back