• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New RX Quarter Jackets - Thanks Chris Hardaway!

I'd expect from memory about 30-40% thicker on a -6.00.... if you love the glasses, need the protection, go for it. Haters will always hate thickness, but the science isn't there to make high RX thin yet!

Collectively that is still -5 (-3.5 sph and -1.5 cyl) not sure what impact the +2.25 progressive would have on the total thickness at the bottom of the lens.
My RX is -4 sph and -2 cyl (-6 total)

Would you expect a big difference in thickness still?

I've never had anyone notice the thickness. Actually most people are shocked when I tell them the are prescription.

Thanks a lot! it actually doesn't look bad if you look at the frame overall. Do you not find the lenses stick into your cheekbones? I have very little clearance with my Flak Jackets with non-RX lenses.

Collectively that is still -5 (-3.5 sph and -1.5 cyl) not sure what impact the +2.25 progressive would have on the total thickness at the bottom of the lens.
My RX is -4 sph and -2 cyl (-6 total)

Would you expect a big difference in thickness still?
Yep. Although the other guy had prizm, do maybe not quite as bad as I said. However he in mind a +2.25 reading portion reduces the thickness slightly... It's not more - power, but less.

I'm considering getting progressive lenses for my Flak Jacket XLJ but have concern about how thick they will end up being (and the weight since I have issue after too many breaks of my nose over the years...). I already have single prescription lenses in a pair of Whiskers (prob 10+ years old) that gives me concern since the lenses are even smaller than the XLJ lenses. Is there a way to estimate what the max thickness will be?

My RX is -2.75 with .25 cyl. The Add is +2.00

Here is what the how the single vision lenses look like in my Whiskers:
IMG_2209.jpg
IMG_2208.jpg

Older thread but great story. I also love my RX pair. My prescription is light enough (at least to me) that I can wear glssses comfortably without RX. I did end up getting an RX set, mainly for driving and it felt amazing having perfect clarity with the Oakley lens. Looking to slowly add more RX lenses over time. Shame that I missed the boat on getting RX for older pairs. Would’ve loved a set of Splice RX lenses

RX is about the only way I will go anymore. My rx is pretty light, virtually nothing in the left and a slight stigmatism in the right but @Zax is totally right in the clarity...especially in my Crosshairs with the sapphire lens.

I wonder what the index rating of Oakley rx lenses are. I have hi index progressive lenses (not Oakley) in my everyday eyeglasses (Oakley Tincup). Huge difference compared to the older single power lenses from Oakley. Of course the tincup lens width is probably more 1/2-3/4" narrower than a Flak will require.

IMG_2211.jpg
IMG_2210.jpg

probably should have mentioned that I can't even wear the Whiskers anymore due to the weight causing headaches

Latest Posts

Back