• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New SI FUEL CELL WITH CERAKOTE

no coating on them will hold up any better or longer than a native injection molded color. it's not possible. kind of senseless really. The only benefit from it is the textural aspect, and also a durability aspect over the standard matte offerings they are utilizing now. Should they figure out how to media blast the gloss finish of a standard frame to a matte or satin luster, well then, they would have fixed their problems...

The only benefit from it is [...] a durability aspect over the standard matte offerings they are utilizing now. Should they figure out how to media blast the gloss finish of a standard frame to a matte or satin luster, well then, they would have fixed their problems...
Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying matte colored O-matter is weaker than polished/gloss colors?

I would have thought it was the other way around, a matte black frame being more durable than polished black.

Yes. Well, kind of. The older Matte stuff was like the soft touch paint, which anyone who wore them knows, it peeled...bad. The new stuff I am seeing seems to be a textured plastic vs coated, which in theory will make it last longer as a finish, but yields a very cheap look in all reality. This cerakote will fix both of those problems as compared to previous attempts, but very hard to gauge how it will last on something that is not rigid, flexible, and subject to all sorts of variables.

Now you aren't talking about a matte frame vs. polished is more durable in the same sense as the coated matted vs molded colored frames. coatings will wear, period. all depends on how they are treated and so forth. we aren't so much comparing gloss vs matte, but painted vs molded colors. Molded color will not fade (should not), change, etc. if you break it, it is the same throughout. Painted/Coated just isn't the case. it can scratch to reveal a base color, chip, flake, scuff, etc. That is what I am referring to..

That's what I'm saying. How is this better than just molded colors other than a collab to talk about/market
I think it would yield much better results over whatever Oakley has used for their FMJ coatings. Which are badass, even if they're just black or gunmetal the frame feel and color just screams Oakley compared to an average matte or polished black frame.

What was the point of FMJ frames? Nothing really.

Oakley sells the **** out of their SI pairs, even to non-military personnel who are hobbyists or otherwise interested in firearms/militaria. Like myself.

Yes. Well, kind of. The older Matte stuff was like the soft touch paint, which anyone who wore them knows, it peeled...bad. The new stuff I am seeing seems to be a textured plastic vs coated, which in theory will make it last longer as a finish, but yields a very cheap look in all reality. This cerakote will fix both of those problems as compared to previous attempts, but very hard to gauge how it will last on something that is not rigid, flexible, and subject to all sorts of variables.

Now you aren't talking about a matte frame vs. polished is more durable in the same sense as the coated matted vs molded colored frames. coatings will wear, period. all depends on how they are treated and so forth. we aren't so much comparing gloss vs matte, but painted vs molded colors. Molded color will not fade (should not), change, etc. if you break it, it is the same throughout. Painted/Coated just isn't the case. it can scratch to reveal a base color, chip, flake, scuff, etc. That is what I am referring to..
What matte colors were coatings? Are you talking FMJ coatings? Or run-of-the-mill blacks and things?

In my mind you were talking about an everyday black frame. 90's black (which was just black) or current matte black.

no, mate black and matte sand were originally applied coatings. up until recently, they were all painted with a soft touch paint. and they ALL peeled over time.

Latest Posts

Back