• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New TinCan™/TinFoil™ Carbons And Sliver™ F

I only tried on a TinFoil (non-Carbon), but they really felt awesome. Light but had strength. Looked good on me and fit well even with my big head. Kind of wished I'd gone with them instead of the more conservative looking New Square Wire II. Thinking maybe something cheap or mismarked will end up on the Bay at some point and I'll give it a try.
I just puchased the Polished Black Tinfoil/Black Iridium Polar. The frames in this flavor are very nice and actually have a combination of colors not shown on the Oakley website. The front (top) of the frame and outer arm finish is polished black but the front lower frame around the lenses is chrome which sets them off for a nice classic look. (IMO) Most of inside of the frame (including the arms) and inside around the lenses is finished in a very nice matte champagne finish. I checked out all of the other frames and thought this one was the best looking. Other frame options are matte or satin finish.

Last edited:
The reason the Slivers don't fold at the nose bridge is because a hinge there would allow too much opportunity for flex that would compromise optical integrity. Frames are designed to flex primarily at the stems instead of the bridge in order to reduce flex between lenses, as that causes visual distortion. Lenses are cut for specific frames for the ideal optical center, and that gets lost if they flex too much between lenses.

The reason the Slivers don't fold at the nose bridge is because a hinge there would allow too much opportunity for flex that would compromise optical integrity. Frames are designed to flex primarily at the stems instead of the bridge in order to reduce flex between lenses, as that causes visual distortion. Lenses are cut for specific frames for the ideal optical center, and that gets lost if they flex too much between lenses.

Ray Ban did it...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408841611.800843.jpg

But Oakley lenses have xyz optics so there is no distortion at all so I find that just an excuse from Oakley.

But Oakley lenses have xyz optics so there is no distortion at all so I find that just an excuse from Oakley.
"Oh hey, look Oakley doing something different"

"That's BS. Another company also had similar hinged frame but for different reasons. Oakley is just derivative, iterative, knock off crap nowadays"

*fast forward 6 months*

"Hey guys check out my new Silver Fs!"

"DUDE SO COOL"

STFU with all the crappy naysaying. If you don't like it there's no harm in stating your opinion. But to say their marketing is an excuse? An excuse for what? That's dumb.

It was to what infamous said before me. The nose bridge not folding because it would compromise optical integrity. Which is a lame excuse. Oakley is just riding on its name now and past glory.

Back