• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New to the forum, but not Oakley - questions on first pair of RX

Taypo

Oakley Beginner
Hey all,

Hope it’s ok if I pop in and ask a couple questions?

I’ve been wearing Oakley for 25+ years at this point, from OG Frogs up to my current favorite SI Fuel Cells. Yeah, I’m old :)

I’ve been wearing them with contact lenses for most of that time and wearing whatever was cheap for eyeglasses the rest of the time. Went in for my annual exam at Target (it’s close, they have good insurance benefits and I like their doc) and went to order a new pair of glasses. They had a pair of Flak 2.0 with clear lenses on the shelf that I liked, so went ahead and pulled the trigger on a pair of TRANS8 clear to gray. Got what I consider a good price when I bought them with my contacts.

So, question one: Target Optical is also owned by Lux, so I’m assuming they’re ordering Oakley lenses rather than third party. The order form has “Authentic Oakley” on a couple of the lines as well. Is that a safe assumption?

Second question: I wear a -4 prescription. How much thicker than standard Oakley lenses should I be expecting?

Thanks!

@Chris A Hardaway can get you some XX Emeralds Rx.
thanks, but i need photochromatic, and since i am in Europe i better try to get a dealer here to order them for me after they do some eye tests. ....

that way i can return to the shop later on and complain if the prescription is not right. i have heard many folks say their new glasses are to strong / weak etc, so they go back and make the dealer make adjustments and get the customer a new pair of glasses.

so Oakley still make photochromatic lenses with prescription in them?
i had read otherwise here on the forum
This is from my receipt. I haven't gotten any word back that they aren't able to fulfill the order, so it would appear that they're able to be ordered. At least from Target Optical...

Sales Order XXX [Lens]
Oakley Edge SV
P1.59 Oakley Trans8 Grey
Authentic Lens Finishing
Scratch Resistant
Oakley Stealth Anti-Reflective
Oakley Photochromic Grey
Oakley Complex Mounting
Edge RX Lens Processing
UV400

This is from my receipt. I haven't gotten any word back that they aren't able to fulfill the order, so it would appear that they're able to be ordered. At least from Target Optical...

Sales Order XXX [Lens]
Oakley Edge SV
P1.59 Oakley Trans8 Grey
Authentic Lens Finishing
Scratch Resistant
Oakley Photochromic Grey
Oakley Complex Mounting
Edge RX Lens Processing
UV400
wow, that sounds great, i hope you will get them, and perhaps post a photo of them here :)

Irvine, brea, Santa Monica , 5th Ave and probably the highest volume store in Vegas too.

Sales Order XXX [Lens]
Oakley Edge SV
P1.59 Oakley Trans8 Grey
Authentic Lens Finishing
Scratch Resistant
Oakley Photochromic Grey
Oakley Complex Mounting
Edge RX Lens Processing
UV400
Those should be Oakley Authentic prescription lenses. When you get them, see if it has an O etched on the lens,if it does, they are Authentic

Hey all,

Hope it’s ok if I pop in and ask a couple questions?

I’ve been wearing Oakley for 25+ years at this point, from OG Frogs up to my current favorite SI Fuel Cells. Yeah, I’m old :)

I’ve been wearing them with contact lenses for most of that time and wearing whatever was cheap for eyeglasses the rest of the time. Went in for my annual exam at Target (it’s close, they have good insurance benefits and I like their doc) and went to order a new pair of glasses. They had a pair of Flak 2.0 with clear lenses on the shelf that I liked, so went ahead and pulled the trigger on a pair of TRANS8 clear to gray. Got what I consider a good price when I bought them with my contacts.

So, question one: Target Optical is also owned by Lux, so I’m assuming they’re ordering Oakley lenses rather than third party. The order form has “Authentic Oakley” on a couple of the lines as well. Is that a safe assumption?

Second question: I wear a -4 prescription. How much thicker than standard Oakley lenses should I be expecting?

Thanks!
The will be a little thick in the edges. But from the front they'll look great. No one will notice. But it'll be about as thick as 3-4 non rx lenses on the edge. So 4.8 to 6mm is about normal. But it varies depending on your measurements, distance between eyes etc.

Last edited:
Back