• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New, Trying to Learn about X-Metal glasses (Juliet)

T

theNewcomer

Hello. I've wore cheap plastic sunglasses for some time, while my friends have had nicer, higher quality Oakleys. I finally decided to grab a pair myself, went to the store and found nothing available like what my buddies had - everything was either bulky plastic or heavy metal-frames. I went back to my friends and asked what they had, to which they said X-Metal Juliets.

I've been doing some Googling, and want to confirm what I think I understand so far. X-Metals as they were made pre-2010 were a Titanium alloy line of frames that were lightweight and good for a variety of sports (I run and bike, so if they are light enough to not bounce while I move, that'd be great). The Juliet model hasn't been made in a number of years. Even if I was able to get my hands on a pair (I know there's a deals section on these forums, but for the moment I'm just seeing $300+ listings on ebay), Oakley may or may not be able to provide repair services should they be needed.

So, some questions. Is everything I said above accurate, or am I misunderstanding somewhere? I know they look good and feel comfortable, but is there a big advantage to these frames that makes it worth it to get something old and potentially not serviceable (gotta DIY repairs)? Why do you like them?

If I want to pursue this, I'll have to look through the Deals section to learn where/how to get a pair. I'm not even sure if Juliets would be the best option, because I don't know the 'old' models at all. Is there a way to learn about what is available? And after I learn about that, I'm going to have to get caught up on all these different kinds of lenses... it's an overwhelming amount of information.

Can anyone help me get started?

Hello. I've wore cheap plastic sunglasses for some time, while my friends have had nicer, higher quality Oakleys. I finally decided to grab a pair myself, went to the store and found nothing available like what my buddies had - everything was either bulky plastic or heavy metal-frames. I went back to my friends and asked what they had, to which they said X-Metal Juliets.

I've been doing some Googling, and want to confirm what I think I understand so far. X-Metals as they were made pre-2010 were a Titanium alloy line of frames that were lightweight and good for a variety of sports (I run and bike, so if they are light enough to not bounce while I move, that'd be great). The Juliet model hasn't been made in a number of years. Even if I was able to get my hands on a pair (I know there's a deals section on these forums, but for the moment I'm just seeing $300+ listings on ebay), Oakley may or may not be able to provide repair services should they be needed.

So, some questions. Is everything I said above accurate, or am I misunderstanding somewhere? I know they look good and feel comfortable, but is there a big advantage to these frames that makes it worth it to get something old and potentially not serviceable (gotta DIY repairs)? Why do you like them?

If I want to pursue this, I'll have to look through the Deals section to learn where/how to get a pair. I'm not even sure if Juliets would be the best option, because I don't know the 'old' models at all. Is there a way to learn about what is available? And after I learn about that, I'm going to have to get caught up on all these different kinds of lenses... it's an overwhelming amount of information.

there are a lot of deals at the exchange section bro. Check it out once you have access to to the thread.

They are still serviceable, albeit not via Oakley. There are several members on this form that can help out with a range of X-Metal needs from servicing, repairs and should you require it, customisation.

Aftermarket wise, Linegear are the main go to store as a one stop shop. There are several others on ebay and multiple suppliers of lenses. There ore some quite a few OEM solutions still around but they are getting scarcer and more costly!

All in all there is no shortage of options to keep the X-Metals in shape. The frames will last forever, will probably outlast me in any case!;)

You are so screwed bro, welcome to the addiction. I only had a Polished Juliet and an X-Metal XX for several years before I joined this forum earlier this year, now I'm up to 11 different X-Metals in various states of repair. 5 XX, 5 juliets and 1 Penny. You will be able to find what you're looking for here at a decent price and most likely will come from a very trusted member. Just have a good window for the money you want to spend on each frame and you should do alright. If you're married, tell your wife we are all very sorry.

I got the bug to not long ago....had a pair of XS glasses and a few Square Wire 2.0. I now have about a dozen Juliet frames and double the lenses, also have 4 Pennys. I only wear Juliet, Penny, and Square Wire 2.0. Considering a Flak 2.0...they look nice. And for a bit over $100...you can't go wrong. I've paid more for just lenses alone. I went from on pair of XS X-Metals...to this in 2 months time.... (more not pictured).

1.jpg

I got the bug to not long ago....had a pair of XS glasses and a few Square Wire 2.0. I now have about a dozen Juliet frames and double the lenses, also have 4 Pennys. I only wear Juliet, Penny, and Square Wire 2.0. Considering a Flak 2.0...they look nice. And for a bit over $100...you can't go wrong. I've paid more for just lenses alone. I went from on pair of XS X-Metals...to this in 2 months time.... (more not pictured).

View attachment 191448
very nice bro

The big advantage to the original xmetals, as you have already noticed, is that they had style ;) You can spend $250 on an O-matter frame at the Oakley store, or you can use that cash to get a nice used Juliet around here. Worst case scenario, if you buy off this forum and don't like them you can likely sell them and get back what you paid for them. The X-man services most member's frames, costs about what Oakley used to charge except his tune up job lasts years and years. Read and study what's on this forum before you make a purchase. 9 times out of 10 the Juliet is the perfect starter pair. It is still my main go-to despite the other frames I own. Welcome to the forum, to steal a phrase, "You're gonna like the way you look" (in a pair of Juliets of course ;) )

image.jpg

A Big welcome to the forum!
I started with one Juliet before I joined the forum and after 2 weeks these are the symptoms of my addiction! Set your limits
and be patient in looking for deals. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Yes pretty much everything you said is correct..... and yes everything everyone else has said to you in reply is also correct.....

Hang around here....also ask to try one of your friends frames on to see how well they fit you before you commit to buying something that is discontinued....

Good luck...... :)

I had an XS for several years, never really liked them all that much and only wore them when I drove....they were too big for my face. I later learned more about the X-Metal series...and I decided I wanted to try something smaller, so I went with the Penny. Got a beautiful one...X-Metal finish with original 1st gen ruby lenses. I love them!! I loved them soooo much, I actually picked up 3 more Pennys....I have them all aside from the copper one. I never tried on any of the other ones on...didn't know anyone that had any for me to examine up close. So, I bought one of each. And till this day, I love how the Penny fits me....but the Juliet is the best all round fitting pair of glasses. And since they are no longer made, I grabbed as many as I could. I still do...if I have any extra $$ on hand, I'll buy a pair of Pennys or Juliets. I'm now saving up for a watch, this time I actually got to see them in the store....so I don't have to buy one of each to decide which one I want! lol

With that said, it's an addiction. I'm getting custom lenses made and having frames finished in custom finishes. I got 3 projects in the works as we speak, and I'm always on the look out for donor lenses. Thanks to the X-Man, I know I will have my glasses for my entire life...and extra lenses (LOTS of extra lenses). I pretty much got most of what I need, I got my stock of donor lenses, my custom ones are in the works, all that is left is the watch....and maybe some more 24K polar iridium Big Taco donors. Other than that, I'm all good! :) Lots of great guys here, you addiction starts as soon as you get your first pair. Good luck, and welcome to the board....I'm still rather new hear myself. Get what you need QUICK before everything is gone. I won't ever sell any of my glasses!! (just the XS that was too big on me)

Back