• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Newbie Looking For A Juliet/Romeo

dalecooper

Oakley Beginner
Netherlands
Hello! I've joined the forum a while ago and was browsing thry the forum. I've owned a lot of Oakley's in the past and currently i own about 5 modells. No i am getting more interested in the X-metal modells but where to start and what to buy?? I don't want a limited modell cause i want to wear it. What is a good modell to start and what about prices?? Didn't know there were so many modells! Hope to learn from you experts!

Welcome Agent Cooper :)

As a collector of them, I'd recommend the Juliet:

w6OO9Z.jpg

It's a versatile frame, readily available and quite often the cheapest of the x-metals. Plasma and carbon finishes are easily found and will give you a feel for x-metals in general, and if you like them. Kronin once called the Juliet the "gateway x-metal", from which you can branch out to the others - or, like me, you can faithfully stick with Juliet.

Do I have to collect all these modells?:cool-33: I like the Juliet but this one is available in Ti and Magnesium? And what is a good price to pay for one depending on which state it is in ofcourse....

Well considering I have twice as many Juliets as I have all other x-metals combined, it's not like I'm really straying much...;) And my most recent pickup was a Juliet...

Do I have to collect all these modells?:cool-33: I like the Juliet but this one is available in Ti and Magnesium? And what is a good price to pay for one depending on which state it is in ofcourse....

Yes. Once you buy an x-metal, collecting an example of every x-metal frame style is absolutely mandatory.

Well, no, not really...

There is no Magnesium x-metal finish. There are Ti Juliets but they are rarer / harder to find. If you like Ti, start out with plasma - it's similar, easy to find, and more affordable.

Once you qualify for the forum exchange section, you can probably find one (without box / coin) for under $300, if you pay attention.

Not "need" to, no, but you might want to!

All the x-metals are made from a titanium alloy, but there are a number of different frame finishes for the Juliet:

Plasma (more matte early on, becoming shinier)
X-metal
Titanium
TiO2
Polished
Carbon
Brown
Polished carbon

Those in the picture all cost me between £100 and £750 apiece (~$160 to $1200) but they are more expensive here in the UK - if you're in the US, they are cheaper in general and sometimes even come in under $100.

Even if they aren't in great condition, x-metals can be "put right" with new lenses, rubber and a nose "tune-up". That starts to cost though, and you need to factor it in when buying a rougher pair. $150-200 should get you a good enough starter pair, and there is always a market for Juliets if you don't like them.

There are fakes about, so you might want to run any prospective purchase past the forum - there is also a thread on here about tell-tales to look out for on the fakes.

I like the Juliet but this one is available in Ti and Magnesium

Oh and if by that you meant the two-tone finish, that's TiO2. Yes, there are OEM TiO2 Juliets. But they, too, are harder to find and more expensive; you're better off starting with plasma to see if you like them and if you really want TiO2 you can get the x-man to refinish them.

I see thnx for the info! And how to spot whenever it is a replica or not? Since nowadays everything is copied.... Currently there is one for sale here in the Netherlands for 300 euro.

I agree with the recommendation to try plasma first - the most numerous by what seems like quite a margin, quite a classic and not too blingy finish. Not everyone rates it as much as Kronin and I do, mind.

I agree with the recommendation to try plasma first - the most numerous by what seems like quite a margin, quite a classic and not too blingy finish. Not everyone rates it as much as Kronin and I do, mind.

Yeah, the majority think the standard x-metal finish is the best of the more common ones.

Latest Posts

Back