• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Newbie Polishing an Old Polished Penny Frame

raindownunder

Oakley Enthusiast
Premium Member
Australia
So I bought a rotary tool (dremel), and ordered a Blue Magic polishing cream as suggested by a forum member.

I don't have any experience whatsoever about polishing, but it just bugs me that some of my Penny frames especially the serialised ones look more dull and cloudy compared to my unserialised frames. I think it's probably not just about the casting marks and the manufacturing process, but I think my older frames are like covered with dead skin cells, and other fun stuff. So I tried using a rotary tool as suggested by people from the forum, and man I'm happy about the result!

371796E2-8652-4FEF-B3F6-B1799C0A8B43.jpeg

Original:
7B3101F5-6501-4FCA-AA79-A8B7958B253E.jpeg

Polished: I forgot to remove the lens when I started and it got covered with the metal polish cream, not good!
50DBBF85-F178-42E2-9120-3598ED2840FC.jpeg

Original:
6CE02848-E42B-4DAB-BCC1-204E95531C04.jpeg

Polished:
631BCDE6-83BE-4949-AEEF-EC9E49D1FD2E.jpeg

I don't expect getting a mirror-finish result, although that's what I would prefer. I think a Pro is needed to achieve that. But I'm happy as I was able to at least see some improvements over the original state of the frame. I feel like it's got less foreign DNA now as well.

Unfortunately my cheap rotary-tool battery started to die out, and I'm still charging it, then I will finish polishing the entire frame. Looks like I'm gonna enjoy my long weekend!

@SoulFulFrog - you're right buddy, polishing is fun!!

Polished side:
5987CDC8-D6DD-473E-9602-2AADE38142B8.jpeg

Original:
A1E80638-7C21-4B00-B6CC-794043277043.jpeg

Last edited:
If you want to get a smooth finish, need to use 400-600-800-1000-1200-1500-2000 sand paper to get rid off the rough finish before polishing it. Just an opinion ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I bought a rotary tool (dremel), and ordered a Blue Magic polishing cream as suggested by a forum member.

I don't have any experience whatsoever about polishing, but it just bugs me that some of my Penny frames especially the serialised ones look more dull and cloudy compared to my unserialised frames. I think it's probably not just about the casting marks and the manufacturing process, but I think my older frames are like covered with dead skin cells, and other fun stuff. So I tried using a rotary tool as suggested by people from the forum, and man I'm happy about the result!

View attachment 561256

Original:
View attachment 561254

Polished: I forgot to remove the lens when I started and it got covered with the metal polish cream, not good!
View attachment 561255

Original:
View attachment 561252

Polished:
View attachment 561253

I don't expect getting a mirror-finish result, although that's what I would prefer. I think a Pro is needed to achieve that. But I'm happy as I was able to at least see some improvements over the original state of the frame. I feel like it's got less foreign DNA now as well.

Unfortunately my cheap rotary-tool battery started to die out, and I'm still charging it, then I will finish polishing the entire frame. Looks like I'm gonna enjoy my long weekend!

Polished side:
View attachment 561250

Original:
View attachment 561251

Exactly. With something polished already that just needs a refresh. Grab some 1200 diamond wet and sand the whole thing down..once you've done that use your rotary to finish it up.

View attachment 561256

Original:
View attachment 561254

View attachment 561255

Original:
View attachment 561252

Polished:
View attachment 561253

Polished side:
View attachment 561250

Original:
View attachment 561251
Definitely great work just needs a little sanding first.

If you want to get a smooth finish, need to use 400-600-800-1000-1200-1500-2000 sand paper to get rid off the rough finish before polishing it. Just an opinion ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely great work just needs a little sanding first.
Thanks for the suggestions! I've got so much to learn, this is fun! The frame looks cleaner now, but it's got a lot of I don't know like tiny bumps or and pits.. and scratches too... maybe that's what the sandpaper is for? Any how, I feel like it's cleaner now and just a tiny bit brighter compared to when I started. I also washed the frame with warm water and soap to get rid of the polishing cream.

28806F41-07B8-4E3E-B525-69FCD388FF33.jpeg

3F57DE19-F71F-4D74-B2B3-2203E94A2D7A.jpeg

Since you have already polished it some I would get , 800 grit to smooth out in spots then repolish!! I usually do this process a couple times !! Then when I'm close to happy I hit it with finer grit and polish tell I see the ulgy lol
Some of the ruffness you feel are casting marks and air pocks !! In the earlier generation they were worse!!
It's up to you how much time you want to spend!! Some will never come out !! Some might just be a little deeper lol
Good luck and enjoy!!
Bonz

Since you have already polished it some I would get , 800 grit to smooth out in spots then repolish!! I usually do this process a couple times !! Then when I'm close to happy I hit it with finer grit and polish tell I see the ulgy lol
Some of the ruffness you feel are casting marks and air pocks !! In the earlier generation they were worse!!
It's up to you how much time you want to spend!! Some will never come out !! Some might just be a little deeper lol
Good luck and enjoy!!
Bonz
Good on you, bro!! Knew I could count on you to help out with some useful info.

Latest Posts

Back