• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Newbie Questions

Ruslan

Oakley Beginner
Hello :)

I am new member of this forum and I pretty much did all the research I could however I would like to ask the experienced ones here for some advice :cool-33:
I recently stumbled upon These Massdrop: Bringing Enthusiasts Together gorgeous sunglasses and instant fell in love with Oakley's!
After extensive research I found Carbon blade ones which look even better and I think I will check them out.
The Ferrari edition that I'm looking at are Ruby Iridium Polarized, seems that they are quite good vs full sun from Oakley Sunglasses Lens Guide I found.

I would love someone who has Ruby Iridium to comment regarding how it feels on the sun, maybe some other lens would be better? The best would be probably black iridium, however they are just black and dull no?
Also what style would you recommend for big head and big nose guy like me ? I'm leaning towards Carbon Blade ones, any suggestions ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
No experience with carbon blades but the Ruby lens is nice for direct sun. I use it a lot and live in Hawaii.

Big head? @Dnkeyhnter can help with that :)
I go straight to X Metals and would tell you Romeo, XX and XS are perfect for the big headed folk ;)

No experience with carbon blades but the Ruby lens is nice for direct sun. I use it a lot and live in Hawaii.

Big head? @Dnkeyhnter can help with that :)
I go straight to X Metals and would tell you Romeo, XX and XS are perfect for the big headed folk ;)

@Ruslan welcome to the big head club! Here is what fits me:

Juliet, XX, Romeo. ( X-Metal)

Holbrook, Fuel Cell, Hijinx, Garage Rock, Eye Jacket, and the Jupiters...all versions except the LX! (O Matter)

The Tin Series works for me and I own a few..Tincan and Tinfoil.

In your research if you like any of the ones I mentioned they will probably work. Please remember though...having a big head like me does not mean what fits me will work for you!! You
Are doing the right thing by trying them on first!

Some of the models I mentioned above (all the X Metals, for example), are not made anymore so trying them on without buying them may prove difficult.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out!!

@cyclerdoug thanks for the info.
I will be checking the store next week, MUST try them all haha :)
What lens would you suggest? The sun is hellish one here... just yesterday it was 42 celcius.

Now you've opened another can of worms!! LENSES! :(

My first suggestion, before you even get too deep into "how cool they look" is to search our site here and find the Oakley Lens Transmission Chart. That will tell you the specific light transmission for each lens and what the recommended use is.

For any specific lens questions I would ask @kronin323 first, his knowledge of the lenses and their specific attributes is extensive. It will help if you have specific questions for him when you get to that point, rather than generic "Is this good for clouds?" stuff. You seem like you are doing some serious research and shopping, we get a lot of the above questions and when some of the experts chime in it seems like the newbies wander away never to be seen again or outright ignore the information and buy the "coolest color". So prepare.

Good Luck!

The red iridium on Ruby gives the base tint a bluish hue; some like that and some don't.

The first question you should ask yourself is, do you want a neutral or contrast base tint?

Back