• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Newbie With M Frame Question

keoki

Oakley Beginner
Hello to all. Great site with lots of information.
I have a quick question. I need night driving lens for riding my motorcycle. I'm looking at the Ballistic M frames military issue 2.0 frames. Reason I chhose this is mainly cost and availability on DA BAY. haha cheap Charley but hey ONLY for night driving.

My question is if it is possible to interchange the different lens types (Array, Heater, Sweep...) on this one frame? AND, of all tyhe designs which is the largest frame for my big melon?

Thanks in advance and good day to all.

Hello to all. Great site with lots of information.
I have a quick question. I need night driving lens for riding my motorcycle. I'm looking at the Ballistic M frames military issue 2.0 frames. Reason I chhose this is mainly cost and availability on DA BAY. haha cheap Charley but hey ONLY for night driving.

My question is if it is possible to interchange the different lens types (Array, Heater, Sweep...) on this one frame? AND, of all tyhe designs which is the largest frame for my big melon?

^ I meant lens. sorry

Thanks in advance and good day to all.[/QUOTE]

You can use any lens type on on a M-frame. So yes on the heater, sweep, strike,...etc.. I personally am not sure which is the largest lens because I perfer the strikes. But the heater looks pretty large.

Thanks Menendez. Anyone else know which lens is the largest?

Also, from what I can see, the Ballistic frame has holes at the end of the earpiece (for strap) and the frame itself has ridges on them (front). Any other outstanding difference between the military issue and regular M frame ?

Military Issue's have a lens clip on the front, while regular m frames do not. The largest lenses in terms of facial coverage and lens height are the Heaters. From smallest to largest it goes
Hybrid S--Sweep--Hybrid--Strike--Heater

Military Issue's have a lens clip on the front, while regular m frames do not. The largest lenses in terms of facial coverage and lens height are the Heaters. From smallest to largest it goes
Hybrid S--Sweep--Hybrid--Strike--Heater

Hey thanks Tomato. I assume although the military issue has the clip, i can use ANY of these lenses(?).

Thanks again.

the heater lens has a boat load of lense coverage. when i was out and about looking at m frames, i ended up with the strike because it seemed to have the best fit/look out of all of them. then again i have a medium sized head

Heater
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/rustpot/2011-11-04170931.jpg

Strike with Ballistic Clip
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/rustpot/2011-11-04171512.jpg

I wear a size 7-7/8 or 7-3/4 hat, but my head pinches in a bit at the temples.

The 2.0 M-Frame is a redesign specifically to fit under the MICH, SDS and ACH helmets. The standard M-Frame works well but where it flares at the temples can cause an issue with the straps on the helmet, and since they sell so many to our troops they designed a low-profile frame to fit under everything.

The clip can be removed, it will get in the way if you're using a lens without the hole but can be left on. It rotates around the center of the frame and just has a little nub that slips into the lens to apply a slight amount of upward pressure to keep the lens from popping out during an impact or if the lens isn't seated properly.

I'd love to get a 2.0 frame eventually. I don't have an issue with using my standard M-Frame, but I think the 2.0 looks a lot better hugging them temples rather than flaring out.

Edit to add:
The military lenses use a different nose piece than the retail lenses as well. It's not a big deal until you're looking to replace a worn or broken nose. The military lenses (both with and without the ballistic clip hole) have hooks built into the lens for the nose piece to snap into. These are somewhat fragile unfortunately, but unlike the retail lenses where the nose piece just uses a little spring pressure to stay in you will never have a nose piece fall out of a military lens.

That's what I love about this forum. Real honest, factual feedback.^^^

Thanks again and Happy New Year everyone.

Back