• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Night time driving lens

I've posted about this before, but here's kind of what I've gone through:

- initially I tried yellow lenses from Revant for Flak's. Worked well, taking the harshness off oncoming headlights. I used these for 4-6 months, but got tired of changing lenses on the Flak and was worried about issues of constantly changing them and how it could effect frame.

- switched to Revant yellow lenses for Fast Jacket. Used these for a couple months with similar success. Did a hydrodip on the FJ's, and the aftermarket lenses got a little tight and harder to change out. Worried about scratching lenses trying to get them out or issues with trying to force them in.

- went to Oakley persimmon lenses for the Fast Jacket. Right away I noticed issues with ghosting from headlights and sign reflections. Also, obviously persimmon is a bit darker, though I felt it within an acceptable range to use. Used for 2 months, but got tired of the significant ghosting issues.

- went to Oakley yellow lenses for Split Jacket. Thought ghosting would be lessened, but unfortunately it wasn't. It was still significant. Used for 2-3 weeks and decided it was just too much to deal with.

- went to Walleva yellow lenses for Split Jacket 2 weeks ago. No ghosting issues with oncoming headlights, but for whatever reason, some minor issues with reflections from some signs. Much better than the OEM stuff though. Very happy with them, and will likely keep these as my go-to for night driving. Yellow takes the edge off oncoming headlights but obviously still enough light coming through to not be a danger.

So, those are my experiences, and recommendation.

I kew there had to be others dealing with this issue :)
I called Oakley CS department & they suggested angling lenses also, 00 Red iridium.
I would not use anything lower than persimmon's 60% light transmission. I think it would be just too dark.

BTW, I drive an hour home from work every night, and during the winter months, it is always at night, so been dealing with it for a while obviously.

Yes - I cant stand these new LED headlamps!

I use Black Violet Iridium, HI Persimmon or Yellow for night driving.... By far the nicest is BV Iridium. The only lens that doesnt 'ghost' with headlamps is Black Violet.

Not many frames offer BV and most are for women!

I have a -

Why 3 - Black Violet
Teaspoon - Black Violet
Crosshair S - Black Violet
Minute - Violet

I am also looking out for a Warden Violet....

Yeah - it is low, but just enough to get rid of harsh 'manmade' glare and you cam still see in the dark while driving down a country lane.

Latest Posts

Back