• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Nike Wing: Zeiss shield

Nike's got a pretty well-backed R&D department, but seems to skimp in their products. When they try, they're very impressive.

They used to have eyewear with a carbon rim (think Lance era), and then their line watered down to a bit, and their campaign was vague — the whole "experts say we were better than competitors" thing. The Vapor Elites kinda look like they took on more detail, and the general shape seems to have evolved into this.

Interesting piece aesthetically. The tucked brow/rim section with vents is pretty clean.

nike-wing-sunglasses-02-1200x800.jpg

Nike Introduces New Wing Sunglasses for Track & Field Athletes

Kinda wonder what entails production. Are there even blanks involved? or is the lens also 3D printed, and somehow meeting Zeiss optical standards? That center crease the description of being a "single body" throws me off. There's also the implication of the lens being the same material as the frame. I believe this has been exercised with some safety glasses, but to this level of detail and purpose is interesting.

Whoa wait a minute
On April 1, the Running Collection comes out from the dark, with five endurance-inspired designs making up the line. Pricing ranges from $145 to $165 for the Bandit, Tailwind and Tailwind Swift, and $395 for the Vaporwing and Vaporwing Elite.

Nike being Nike in the eyewear department. This upcoming pair is probably going to cost as much, if not more given the more elaborate construction.

The Vaporwings for the time being already cost more than the Uvex Variotronic. Sheesh:

Vaporwing Elite - Running | Nike Vision

Gotta charge that much to pay for the website. That is a slick presentation they've put together.

Maybe we'll finally get some innovation out of Oakley if other companies start to encroach on the broad sports market.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Competition generally brings innovation and that's what needed in this genre.

Sent from Q's Note5

Guess it's nothing but a PR tool. Can't be too surprised because the production tooling is what I assume to be rare or even a first in the market.

But for consumer worth, there's no value.

Latest Posts

Back