• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Nike Wing: Zeiss shield

[...] That center crease the description of being a "single body" throws me off. There's also the implication of the lens being the same material as the frame.
The frame with lenses and temples is indeed one piece, made out of tinted lens material with a silver mirror coating (Nike calls it a "white mirror") that hides the eyes. The frame has no hinges, kind of like a Pro M Frame.
The only separate pieces are the nosepad, the browpad, and the three-piece strap. The strap consists of left and right flexible segments that connect to the frame in two places on each side: the end of the temple and the lower outside edge of the lens. These left and right flexible-but-not-very-stretchable strap segments are joined in the back by one super-stretchy segment, which theoretically allows the glasses to fit different size heads.

Nike says that these Nike Wing glasses are intended for runners to wear during Olympic events.
Has anybody seen an athlete wearing these in Rio?
The Track & Field events are well underway, but I have yet to see anybody wearing these. The only runner I've seen wearing Nike Wing sunglasses was wearing the more conventional, mass-produced Nike VaporWing design.

Nike says that these Nike Wing glasses are intended for runners to wear during Olympic events.
Has anybody seen an athlete wearing these in Rio?
The Track & Field events are well underway, but I have yet to see anybody wearing these. The only runner I've seen wearing Nike Wing sunglasses was wearing the more conventional, mass-produced Nike VaporWing design.
An athlete trying something brand new at the Olympics? I'd say it's a hard sell. Most of the people wearing sunglasses likely had them well in advance of The Games and would probably take a free pair or switch colors, but brand/style/fit/performance? Unlikely.

If you look in the MLB there's some guys wearing Nike shades, they've become more apparent in about the last 2-3 seasons, and to be honest some of them look extremely sick! I haven't had the chance to try on a pair yet to see how the lens function is but I'm definitely going to. @QLR1 can you chime in on the MLB part you watch a bit of ball like me!

If you look in the MLB there's some guys wearing Nike shades, they've become more apparent in about the last 2-3 seasons, and to be honest some of them look extremely sick! I haven't had the chance to try on a pair yet to see how the lens function is but I'm definitely going to. @QLR1 can you chime in on the MLB part you watch a bit of ball like me!
Yeah, I've seen a few wearing Nike and Under Armour sunglasses... The Nike and UA athletes typically are dressed from head to toe with the product. I haven't tried on either brand... I am not really curious about them. They just don't look as cutting edge as Oakley, IMO.

I remember Freddie Freeman (Braves 1B) rocking some Oakley RX temporarily because UA didn't have the tech at the time.

I see mostly Oakley on the TV screen... It is hard not to notice.

Sent from Q's Note5

Nike is rolling these out while Oakley is rolling out.........the EV Zero :(

I found some more information about Olympic athletes wearing the Wing sunglasses in Rio:
“There are 2-3 athletes in Rio that will wear Nike Wing,” [said] Nike spokesperson Rachael Feldman [...] “Athletes who have worn Nike Wing leading up to Olympics are Henrik Ingebrigtsen and Brittney Reese."​
Henrik Ingebrigtsen runs the 1500m. His first heat race is Tuesday morning (8/16).
Brittney Reese is a long jumper. Her competition begins Tuesday evening.
So, it sounds as if we may yet see the Nike Wing worn in competition in the next couple days.

I found some more information about Olympic athletes wearing the Wing sunglasses in Rio:
“There are 2-3 athletes in Rio that will wear Nike Wing,” [said] Nike spokesperson Rachael Feldman [...] “Athletes who have worn Nike Wing leading up to Olympics are Henrik Ingebrigtsen and Brittney Reese."​
Henrik Ingebrigtsen runs the 1500m. His first heat race is Tuesday morning (8/16).
Brittney Reese is a long jumper. Her competition begins Tuesday evening.
So, it sounds as if we may yet see the Nike Wing worn in competition in the next couple days.
Henrik Ingebrigtsen did indeed wear the Wing for his heat race. To see the Wing in action, you can replay the Tuesday morning Track & Field coverage using the NBC Sports app. Henrik runs his heat approximately 1 hour 30 minutes into the coverage. The best pictures of the Wing are just after the conclusion of the race.
As a side note: when you watch the Track & Field replay on the NBC Sports app, you only hear the sounds within the stadium -- no commentary.

Henrik Ingebrigtsen did indeed wear the Wing for his heat race. To see the Wing in action, you can replay the Tuesday morning Track & Field coverage using the NBC Sports app. Henrik runs his heat approximately 1 hour 30 minutes into the coverage. The best pictures of the Wing are just after the conclusion of the race.
As a side note: when you watch the Track & Field replay on the NBC Sports app, you only hear the sounds within the stadium -- no commentary.
Post a screen shot, if possible...

Back