• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Nike Wing: Zeiss shield

NBC's TV coverage has shown Brittney Reese wearing the Wing while waiting in the stadium for her event final, which will be held later tonight. So maybe the Wing will be on display in primetime coverage tonight. Curiously, although Brittney Reese wore Nike sunglasses during qualifying last night, she was wearing the mass-produced Nike Vapor Wing, not the limited-production Wing that she is wearing tonight.

Brittney Reese wearing the Wing during athlete introductions for last night's long jump finals:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Henrik Ingebrigtsen runs again tonight. Not sure whether or not he will be wearing the Wing, especially considering that he'll be racing at night.
Here are some screen captures from his earlier run wearing the Wing:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Not bad looking, but definitely won't be buying. Not made for nonathletes and that price tag is not my kind of thing... I could get me a X-Metal or two

Sent from Q's Note5

I am interested in the technology that Nike employed to take what normally would be a frame with lenses and turn it into a one-piece "flens".
I am also curious about what the view through the sunglasses looks like, especially considering that Nike claims that they are able to optically compensate for the bends and creases in the lens shape.
Finally, I wonder the sunglasses feel like on the head, particularly in the area over the ear. It looks as if Nike deliberately made the frame's temples wide, so that the flexible "tendon" running over the ear from the bottom of the lens, rather than the temple itself, is what contacts the skin above the ear. That should mean that the stretchiness of the strap around the back of the head, rather than the fixed width of the frame, will determine the tightness of the sunglasses on the temples. Allowing the strap to affect the fit of the sunglasses should be a good thing, but I wonder what it feels like to have both the strap and the temples going over your ears, given that glasses often irritate the tops of the ears.
In any event, it's good to see a big company trying out new ideas.

Dang - can Oakley hire the Nike folks to overhaul the current "Radar Style" glasses that Oakley is crutching out to the public ??

Back