• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

No more prescription photochromics?

ekuznetsov143

Oakley Beginner
I just spent $416+tax at oakley.com on a new pair of prescription sunglasses that I expected to be photochromic. Glasses came yesterday and they are just regular dark prescription lenses. Looks like the web store lets me choose photochromic sunglasses https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OO9208?variant=888392143570, and then asks me to add prescription lenses, but neglects to mention that adding prescription lenses drops the photochromic option.

I emailed customer support and the response was that "Oakley does not offer clear or transition lenses on Rx sunglasses frames".

Which is really odd, because I own a pair of Flak 2.0 XL (I think) that I got through an optician around 3 years ago, and they are definitely prescription and transitions (completely clear at night).

Is the customer rep talking nonsense or did Oakley drop this option some time in the last few years? What the heck?

I just spent $416+tax at oakley.com on a new pair of prescription sunglasses that I expected to be photochromic. Glasses came yesterday and they are just regular dark prescription lenses. Looks like the web store lets me choose photochromic sunglasses https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OO9208?variant=888392143570, and then asks me to add prescription lenses, but neglects to mention that adding prescription lenses drops the photochromic option.

I emailed customer support and the response was that "Oakley does not offer clear or transition lenses on Rx sunglasses frames".

Which is really odd, because I own a pair of Flak 2.0 XL (I think) that I got through an optician around 3 years ago, and they are definitely prescription and transitions (completely clear at night).

Is the customer rep talking nonsense or did Oakley drop this option some time in the last few years? What the heck?

Is there any etching on the lenses you currently have?

I have a set of Turbines that have clear transition mirror lenses and are etched in the lower corner. Got them made last year. I have noticed that some of the RX stuff in the last few weeks has had some issues. I’m chasing a issue myself with RX stuff.

Oakley customer service never knows WTF they are talking about. If they want the conversation to end they will make up some BS answer. I straight up tell people that in store because they are so bad.

That being said we still do transition/photochromic lenses in Rx frames and sunglass frames, as long as your script fits. If you go into an oakley store that has an optician it's much easier and they can help you with lens options.

Back