• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘Nomenclature - Unicorn, Rare, Grail, 24K, Prototype, Sample etc.

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Updated 8th May, 2018 by cacatman

Let me know if you agree or disagree! Leave a comment!

Introduction
A few of these terms are thrown around a lot. I thought it may be helpful to define them.

Oxford Dictionary - "(of gold) pure"

Oakley Forum Definition - Just gold coloured. NOT real 24 carat gold. Commonly used for the gold coloured frames - 24k Juliet (limited xxx/750), 24k XS (limited XXX/750), 24k XX (X-metal).
P.S. "XX is more of a ceramic/cerakote type of finish whereas the Juliets and X Squared have a finish very similar in aplearence to a genuine 24 carat gold plating." (as per @mjt42)

Bob/Bob Head
Bob or Bob Head - a generic term (not specific to Oakley) describing a mannequin used for display of product.
(thanks to @kronin323)

Colorway
Oxford Dictionary - "Any of a range of combinations of colours in which a style or design is available."

Oakley Forum Definition -
Colour of a frame, typically in reference to the colour combination on a product. Also a generic industry term not specific to Oakley.
(thanks to @kronin323 for the suggestion)

Custom
Oxford Dictionary - "Made or done to order; custom-made."

Oakley Forum Definition - Any item that has been deliberately changed for the benefit of the end user by someone outside of Oakley (most of them are found here). It also includes any item that has been "made to order" direct from Oakley/Oakley representative and that doesn't have an official SKU number for the frame, lens and rubber combination.

Discontinued
Oxford Dictionary - "(of a product) no longer available or produced."

Oakley Forum Definition - Not necessarily the same as "rare". A "discontinued" Oakley item is no longer currently in production. "Discontinued" sunglasses can be considered relatively "new" models, and yet be "discontinued" e.g. badman/madman. Often parts will continue to be produced for a few years e.g. lenses, possibly even rubbers. N.B. They still may be available as leftover stock in Vaults or Resellers.
(thanks @Jmgarcia for the suggestion)

Grail
Oxford Dictionary - "A thing which is eagerly pursued or sought after"

Oakley Forum Definition - To me, this is more used for personal Oakley items that people want to add to their collection e.g. for me, Freeman Transport Jawbone. But they may not necessarily be limited editions, or even be a rare model. They may be a "Grail" because:-
  1. You haven't been able to find a suitable one in the condition you want
  2. You can't afford it e.g. Medusa - not that rare, but just expensive, or a red faced minute machine watch
  3. A specific numbered item (which may be relatively common), but has a specific serial number e.g. Money clip #420 etc.
P.S. An item can still be a "Grail" to someone and yet be relatively common.

Limited Edition
Oxford Dictionary - "An edition of a book, or reproduction of a print or object, limited to a specific number of copies."

Oakley Forum Definition - Oakley item which had a limited verifiable number produced. Could be as high as 5000 or as low as 1 or 2 pairs. Usually numbered e.g. Carbon Gold Money Clip. For more lists of Limited Edition Oakley items, go to The Definitive Oakley Owner's List Page.

NPI (New Product Introduction)
Similar to a sample. It usually has the SKU but may not have some other released product refinements e.g. may lack markings on arms that are present on the final release versions.
(thanks @The_Darkone for the suggestion)

Prototype
Oxford Dictionary - "A first or preliminary version of a device or vehicle from which other forms are developed."

Oakley Forum Definition - Any Oakley item that was built as an archetype (and in-house by Oakley) prior to the production of the model. Usually, they aren't released officially to the public for sale. They may be different because:-

1. They were scheduled for general release, but later weren't e.g. Ferrari Carbon Prime
  2. They were experimental paint jobs which are different from the general released product e.g. Prototype Frogskin Blends (colours reversed)
  3. They are stamped "prototype" and aren't numbered like the general release pairs of their model e.g. Prototype C-Six Aluminium
  4. They are unique "experiments" which were never released as an evolved product e.g. Medusa Prototype or Prototype Single Wide Display Case

Sample
Oxford Dictionary - "A specimen taken for scientific testing or analysis."

Oakley Forum Definition - Oakley item that was given/was supposed to be given to Oakley Reps to be shown to Resellers. Sample Oakley sunglasses usually (but not always) have "sample" stamped or have a non-standard SKU stamped or etched on the arms.

Rare
Oxford Dictionary - "Not occurring very often", "(of a thing) not found in large numbers and so of interest or value"

Oakley Forum Definition - Traditionally used for plasma Juliets, or items on this Rarest Oakleys List, but the term is overused, especially on eBay.

Special Edition
Oxford Dictionary - "An edition of product which differs from the usual format,"

Oakley Forum Definition - A "special edition" could be a slightly more unique version of a pair of Oakleys which may/may not be already be released as a standard colour way e.g. MotoGP Carbon Prime or Ducati versions. Usually they come with a combination of unique box, unique case, unique microfibre bag, separate sku (from standard), limited numbers, different etching. A lot are done in conjunction with either athletes, artists, other brands or causes e.g. Red Bull, Ferrari, Shaun White etc.
(Thanks to @Jmgarcia for the suggestion)

Unicorn
Oxford Dictionary - "A mythical animal typically represented as a horse with a single straight horn projecting from its forehead"

Oakley Forum Definition - It has been traditionally used to describe the XS Carbon OO Black Iridium Polarized SKU 6011-08 which has a unique lens. But personally, I think that they should be used for even MORE unique items e.g. this list of frogskins.

Vintage
Oxford Dictionary - "Denoting something from the past of high quality, especially something representing the best of its kind."

Oakley Forum Definition - Using the Oxford Dictionary definition would imply that anything prior to November 1995 +/- 6 months (allowing for the lag time of product development in the "Jim Jannard" era prior to the sale of Oakley to Luxottica) would be considered "Vintage" ie. "high quality" and representing "the best of its kind".
(Thanks to @GavinL for the suggestion)

Last edited:
maybe we can elaborate on the difference between the coating on the 24k juliet/x squared xxx/750 pairs and the coating on the 24k xx....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

maybe we can elaborate on the difference between the coating on the 24k juliet/x squared xxx/750 pairs and the coating on the 24k xx....

Thanks. Are you talking about the fact that the limited editions are all "gold coloured" and the 24k XX is just the nose and ear stems? Or are you referring to something else?

Thanks. Are you talking about the fact that the limited editions are all "gold coloured" and the 24k XX is just the nose and ear stems? Or are you referring to something else?
the 24k parts (bridge and stems) on the XX are a completely different finish than the gold limited edition Juliets and X squared.

the XX is more of a ceramic/cerakote type of finish whereas the Juliets and X Squared have a finish very similar in apearence to a genuine 24 carat gold plating.

Last edited:
the 24k parts (bridge and stems) on the XX are a completely different finish than the gold limited edition Juliets and X squared.

the XX is more of a ceramic/cerakote type of finish whereas the Juliets and X Squared have a finish very similar in aplearence to a genuine 24 carat gold plating.

Wow. I did not know that. I thought it was the same!!!! Thanks! Edited and updated.

Latest Posts

Back