• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Non-Sport Oakleys?

Standard Holbrooks do not fit me well because of the hooked stems. Holbrook Metal solves that issue. It's also available as Holbrook Mix which has a plastic frame, and metal stems. Also keep in mind, the existence of Holbrook XL.

Sliver or Sliver XL are getting hard to find, but they're lighter, have straight stems, and are not expensive. In my opinion Sliver did not get the attention it should have. In the case of "XL" I believe it was just a larger lens, I do not think the actual width of the frame changed. They will be hard to find, but there was also a small release of Sliver F which cut the weight of Sliver down even more by adding extra cutaways in the frame. The frame was advertised as being made of "Nanomatter" instead of plastic O Matter like regular Slivers. The "F" stands for foldable because the stems fold to make the glasses fit in an exclusive metal case that was quite thin. Be advised that Sliver F is now somewhat of a collector's item, but if you're looking for your Goldilocks frame, and Sliver is almost there, you may want to start a serious hunt for them.

Two Face is another option, although you may find it heavy. There is also Two Face XL, same as Sliver, I believe it just made the lenses taller. Two Face is thick plastic stems, and then half the frame on the front is metal (the bottom half).

You may also want to look at Targetline. It is a hybrid sporty/lifestyle look with great coverage, and just a few sporty/aggressive lines.

If you're looking at wire metal frames in particular, I love the Plaintiff Squared. They're older, but quite light and have great coverage. They are very similar to an even older style called the Inmate which had rubber on the stems instead of just metal.
Thank you for all this information. You’ve given me a lot to consider. The challenge will be getting to try some of these on. The local Oakley store will have some so I guess I’ll start there.

I will be in Denver this weekend. They have an outlet. It is pretty far out of the way so I don’t think I’ll be able to visit that one.

Last edited:
Sliver XL would be something to look into. I find them to fit a little more comfortably than Holbrook XLs.

For what it’s worth, I find Radar EVs to be oddly snug over the ears, as well. Never was an issue with RadarLocks or regular Radars.

Sliver XL would be something to look into. I find them to fit a little more comfortably than Holbrook XLs.

For what it’s worth, I find Radar EVs to be oddly snug over the ears, as well. Never was an issue with RadarLocks or regular Radars.
Thanks. It sounds like we are similar fits. This is good info.

Try Asian Fit Radar EVs. They sit wider (not as snug) on the sides of the head than regular fit ones. Same with original Radars

A couple of folks messaged with additional info. I can’t reply via messaging until Wednesday because I’m a new member. If it’s within the forum rules, please message back and include an email address so i can reply. Otherwise I’ll reply on Wednesday. Everyone has been so helpful, I don’t want anyone thinking I was blowing them off by not replying.

Sliver or Sliver XL are getting hard to find, but they're lighter, have straight stems, and are not expensive. In my opinion Sliver did not get the attention it should have. In the case of "XL" I believe it was just a larger lens, I do not think the actual width of the frame changed. They will be hard to find, but there was also a small release of Sliver F which cut the weight of Sliver down even more by adding extra cutaways in the frame. The frame was advertised as being made of "Nanomatter" instead of plastic O Matter like regular Slivers. The "F" stands for foldable because the stems fold to make the glasses fit in an exclusive metal case that was quite thin. Be advised that Sliver F is now somewhat of a collector's item, but if you're looking for your Goldilocks frame, and Sliver is almost there, you may want to start a serious hunt for them.

I wanted to thank everyone that responded and thank you for your advise. I appreciate you taking the time to help out a Newbie.

I decided to go with a Sliver model because of the advise here, and the fact that I tried them on in the store, and they didn't pinch behind the ears like the Holbrooks, Radar EV, and many others. In addition, they are light and I like the general look.

I had a hard time picking between the XL and the F Slivers. In the end I decided on a pair of Sliver F. they are lighter, and use the same lenses as the standard Sliver, so there should be plenty of lens options. In addition, they look like they are easy to carry, and like VirusSixZero pointed out, they are kinda a collector's item. I really wasn't looking for a collectors item, but if its about the same price as the other options under consideration, why not?

The Sliver F arrived. Thanks @Nortika :)

I'm very happy with this choice. For me its a good fit and they are very light. I could see adding more Sliver or Sliver F in the future as they both use the same lenses.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

Last edited:
Can’t believe I’ve missed out on Sliver F. I’m going to have to keep any eye out for a pair of them. Any pics of yours? I’ve always been a fan of the regular Slivers.

Back