• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Noooo! Snapped M-frame, can this be fixed?

For what it's worth, this may be worth a try... having experience in bonding plastics, this is a possibility, although to be clear, I've never had to bond or fix an Oakley Frame:

You can try using plain acetone if the break is really clean and crisp, meaning that the broken pieces have to fit back together perfectly by light finger pressure.

First, remove the lens and ear socks, get those as far away as possible! Next, try some plain acetone (Some nail polish removers are plain acetone, while others have other crap mixed in them - you want the plain).

Next, get some medical grade syringes, the type for diabetics, really small ones. Can order some online, or some local pharmacies like Walgreens or CVS will give some to you - tell them it's for oil to lubricate watches or something.

Try on an area of the frame that will be unseen, such as under an ear sock location, as an example. If the frame gets soft on the surface or when the acetone dries and leaves an obvious impression, that means this should work.

If you want to try further, suck up some acetone in the syringe. You'll need a help to hold the pieces together tightly. VERY carefully, put the needle on the surface, near the crack, and ever so slowly, push the plunger in the syringe just so the acetone flows out ever so slightly. It will wick into the crack under capillary action and should be dried and bonded within a minute.

This is the method used to bond plexiglass and other acrylics together. The bond actually melts and fuses the parts together. So strong, that it's like one piece. Think of display cases, that's how that's done.

If the acetone method does not work on this type of plastic, I would say don't bother trying to fix. Epoxy and others bonding agents will hold together, but it won't last and will break again in no time.

I hope this helps.

Show us the damage, in multiple pictures.
Here you go
c960665d15d8e9636b98d2460089973f.jpg
e01ef3f5a7f98522099b32e9291d2a9e.jpg

Latest Posts

Back