• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Not Sure I Can Tell A Difference Between Polarized And Non Polarized

music_man185

Oakley Beginner
i have 3 pairs of oakleys. all black iridium lenses. 2 polarized, 1 non polarized. i've noticed a time or two that when looking through the polarized lenses, i still catch a pretty sharp glare. usually sunlight reflecting from a car window. one day i was at home, and the sun was reflecting from the window of my truck in the driveway causing a big glare. i looked at it through my polarized lenses, and then my non polarized lenses. i couldn't tell a difference. i read on this forum of people praising polarized lenses and how they cut out 100% of the glare, but i'm not sure i'm seeing it. am i missing something?

The polarized filters cut out glare from one direction. They're set up in glasses to block the glare coming up from water, road, snow, etc and are a godsend on sunny days when the roads are wet or out on the lake, snow and so on. The Iridium helps cut glare from other angles.

That's why the polarized filters on camera lenses rotate, so you can match the angle of the glare to the filter's set angle.

Next time you catch a sharp spot of glare, rotate your head a bit and you'll see the glare change intensity as the polarized filter better matches the angle of the light.

Yes and no. If you're driving or walking around I'm not saying you should tilt your head around to try and kill off the glare. Just try it and you'll see the difference and how the polarized filter works.

If the glare is painful avoid looking at it.

ok. i should have some good opportunity's to test it out in the next few days. it is snowing right now in the area i live, and we are expected to get up to 8 inches. so when the sun comes out, there will be a lot of chances for glare off the snow.

:wink:
ok. i should have some good opportunity's to test it out in the next few days. it is snowing right now in the area i live, and we are expected to get up to 8 inches. so when the sun comes out, there will be a lot of chances for glare off the snow.

Send that snow my way! I am tired of skiing on the made made stuff.

Latest Posts

Back