• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Not Sure What This Is But It Got Me Thinking...

Silent Oz

Oakley Expert
Co. Durham, UK
7871938826_3a10bc6540.jpg
juliet? by Silent Oz, on Flickr

Randomly came across this picture, its not very good quality unfortunately. At first glance i thought it might be a copper penny, but it looks a little dark for that? I'm still way to much of a noob to know whether its a fake or a custom job or whatever but it got me thinking has anyone done a custom paint/finish on an X-metal? And does it look any good?
Is this the sort of thing someone like dr. chop would do or is it considered blasphemy to tamper with an x-metal in such a way?

Apologies if this has been covered before, i did try searching before posting but didnt find anything

its a fake, but a pretty good one at it. Firstly, there is no gasket at the lens area which is a clear indication that it is fake, next is where the temple shocks are, the shape just doesnt seem right.

its a fake, but a pretty good one at it. Firstly, there is no gasket at the lens area which is a clear indication that it is fake, next is where the temple shocks are, the shape just doesnt seem right.

With the grainy picture i wasnt sure if there wasn't a gasket or it was just the same colour as the frame.

PLEASE move to general discussion section. this is a FAKES thread.

I originally posted in this section because i was more interested in discussing the possibility of modding x-metal frames to non standard colours rather than whether this particular pair were fake, i posted the picture because it was what started me thinking about it. But i will defer to the wisdom of others on which section it belongs in.

There's a company selling X Metals on ebay with custom powder/paint jobs, as well as doing mods to the frame. They wanted a couple hundred dollars premium for their customs though.

I personally have never painted an X Metal. Probably could try, but really think anything outside of a vapor coating, anodizing, or similar treatment takes away from the beauty of an X Metal. Something about that raw metal look for me...lol

I originally posted in this section because i was more interested in discussing the possibility of modding x-metal frames to non standard colours rather than whether this particular pair were fake, i posted the picture because it was what started me thinking about it. But i will defer to the wisdom of others on which section it belongs in.

oh i see where youre coming from. fair enough.

theres lots of cusom painted/powder coated/chromed/plated/anodised xmetals out there. personally i think its sacrilege, but to each their own.

i think the raw xmetal finish is amazing, so i personally wouldnt cover it up.

There's a company selling X Metals on ebay with custom powder/paint jobs, as well as doing mods to the frame. They wanted a couple hundred dollars premium for their customs though.

Not seen those, probably dont show up on ebay uk, sounds interesting if expensive

I personally have never painted an X Metal. Probably could try, but really think anything outside of a vapor coating, anodizing, or similar treatment takes away from the beauty of an X Metal. Something about that raw metal look for me...lol

I've always thought anodized metal looks good, i'd be curious to see an x-metal done like that. On a seperate note nice to 'meet' the infamous dr.chop! I sent you an e-mail about getting some custom lenses, your work looks amazing!

Back