• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Not Sure What To Get In The Vault, Scalpel Or Split Jacket??

Which one?

• Ten (black ink/ polarized red iridium)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split Jacket (polished black/ polarized black iridium)

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

BennyBlaze

Oakley Beginner
Horsham, PA
Right now the Scalpel's are 50 but I'd have to spend 20 dollars on polarized lenses (probably Visionary Lenses off ebay). The Split Jacket is 100 but already has polarized lenses. Which should I get?

Update: I just saw a pair of Ten Polarized for 80. I'm going to replace the Scalpel and now choose between the Ten and Split Jacket.

Myself,along with plenty other members on the forum see Aftermarket lenses as... "last resort"
a large part of having your Oakleys,are the lenses...
They're far superior to any other. And as far as "polarization" on aftermarket lenses... i can't say much for that either.
I would suggest that if you DO want polarized lenses...you make sure they're genuine!
Make sure you like the frame you're purchasing! Go into a store, try them both on, and see which one you like more!
On paper, or on screen... the Scalpel looks good! I like them... but every time i walk into an O store and try em on...
i'm almost certain i'll never wear them myself. It's all personal preference really. And being comfortable.
If you're doing it solely for the lenses though... i'd fork up the extra cash for the split jackets!

I agree with Johnny on every point.

Can you even get aftermarket Scalpel lenses? I haven't looked.

But the Scalpel and the Split Jacket are two very different fits. The Scalpel looks good but it just feels too flimsy to me, and the heavy rake to the frame just didn't mesh with me. The Splits are too small for me, as much as I wish they weren't. I'm mostly upset the Jawbone/Racing Jacket and the Split Jacket are so similar in fit for being almost identical frames. The Jawbone does fit a bit bigger and has more aggressive style to it, but it's not appreciably bigger such that there really needs to be 2 different frames (in my opinion).

I have a split and I tried on a scalpel about a week ago. Both have somewhat flimsy frames. Split Jacket is more comfortable in my opinion. The scalpel seems to have a smaller bridge than the split. Overall I'd probably go with the Split Jacket... but it hard to resist buying the scalpel cause it looks so cool. And if you want polarized lenses I'd say it even more reason to buy the Split Jackets.

Im with Johnny, those fake lenses may look cool, but you're not getting the protection your eyes deserve. And I like the splits better myself as well, they just fit me better. You'll have to see which one fits you best, you can never go by someone else's preference.

Why not just spend the extra bit and get Oakley polarized lenses for your Scalpels? But what you should get really depends on what you're going to do with them.

I would like to Carlito but Oakley doesn't offer any of the colors I want in a polarized form. They just have have basic colors like black, grey, and bronze but not ruby or fire polarized (which is what I want).

And for the record I will be planning to run and play tennis with these on, along with casual wear.

I would like to Carlito but Oakley doesn't offer any of the colors I want in a polarized form. They just have have basic colors like black, grey, and bronze but not ruby or fire polarized (which is what I want).

And for the record I will be planning to run and play tennis with these on, along with casual wear.

That makes sense. Between the Ten and the Split Jackets, I'd say split jackets if you're going to play tennis with them, with the unobtanium nosepieces and socks (not to mention the optional strap kit), it'll probably stay on your face better

If you're going to go with something you're going to be playing sports in...
i would probably suggest a different frame entirely...
perhaps a radar, or a flak jacket... depending on how small/large your face is.

you can probably find a polarized flak jacket in that price range on the bay. and the amount of oakley flak jacket accessory lenses will probably overwhelm you.

Back