• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

O-matter Frames Gloss To Matte

Lee G

Oakley Beginner
This may be used on other frames but I can't guarantee the results.
I have a pair of Racing Jackets but they came with a matte frame and gloss jaws. I've always hated the gloss bits and finding aftermarket jaws is a nightmare. Getting them shipped to uk is even worse so I looked at how I could mod them.

First thoughts was to go for a total gloss so I polished the whole frame using very fine motor cutting polish with a microfibre cloth. This gave an over all gloss result which whilst nice but really wasn't the result I wanted. How to turn the whole lot matte again was now the challenge.

After much googling the common solution to turn gloss plastic matte is to use a scotch brite pad normally found on the back of kitchen sponges. If you want professional results then you're looking a blasting techniques which can be expensive and destructive.
So sponge in hand I did a quick trial on the back of one arm and this indicated that whilst it removed the gloss it left quite a rough finish with lines or swirls, not ideal.
This got me thinking about different abrasives and application techniques.

Whilst getting ready for work the solution was in front of me.
I have an electric rotary toothbrush with a replaceable brush. This would be a good applicator I just needed the right compound. Whitening toothpaste did work and left a nice minty smell, but a trip to the store found a fine abrasive paste used for polishing metal.
10 mins work and the end result is a clean matte finish with no swirls or lines..

Not the best of photos but it will give an idea of the finish achieved
image.jpg

Awesome tip! What did you use to apply the compound? An old toothbrush head? Or did you modify it?

No modifications to the brush at all, and the details of the compound are that it includes fine ground silica flour! Here's exactly what I used.
image.jpg

Dude. I like it. I may have to test the waters on an old beat up pair and see what I can do. I have a pair of straight jackets that I so wish were matte.

Back