• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

O-Matter Toast Or Can Be Repaired?

ChrisTopherloaf

Oakley Beginner
I still have a pair of plasma (I think that's what they're called) Twenties with emerald iridium lenses but the frames are chipped and in bad shape as are the lenses. I think I got them around 2000-2002 but I'm not quite sure. Is that something Oakley can repair or are they pretty much trash now? I can still wear em, they just look like junk.

Those are FMJ 5.56 with emerald lenses from your description. FMJ meaning Full Metal Jacket, they used a metal coating sort of paint on the frames, and that coating is very prone to chipping with light wear.

Oakley probably won't do anything for you. They might give you 20% off a new order from them, or they may still do a trade in where you send in the old pair and get a % off a new pair. I'm not sure they still do the trade in program.

There are members here that can help you with a repaint or getting new lenses or rubber. But if you're not attached to them for some reason it might be cheaper to just buy a new pair. And if you love the XX (Twenty) you can find good condition pairs on eBay pretty easily.

This is the stock image for your pair I believe

Last edited by a moderator:
Oakley can't/won't repair them but there are members on here who can restore your glasses. Dr.Chop is an expert painter and can bring your XX's back to life.

Check his stuff out in the DIY section.

You cannot repair the coating, but you could strip the coating off, then you will have a black frame.
Black ear socks are still available (Oakley OEM).
Lenses are available as well: Black Iridium or Black Iridium Polarized on Oakley.com. Or check ebay they pop up sometimes here and there.

I might check out a restore. They're the pair I've had the longest. I wouldn't say it's hardcore sentimental value but I mean, with a a streak like that especially with my flipping a few pair in the early 2000s I sort of do want to keep these. Those FMJ are exactly what they are. I'll try and find em and take a photo.

Oakley can't/won't repair them but there are members on here who can restore your glasses. Dr.Chop is an expert painter and can bring your XX's back to life.

Check his stuff out in the DIY section.

Thanks bro. Much appreciated there.

As for repairing the FMJ coating, it really isn't possible to fix it and match it. I can touch up sections if they aren't too bad to be very close though. Problem is, it will just continue to flake. I can do a re-spray though. I think on plasma, I can do a pearl that is damn close, but it will have a little more coarse appearance since FMJ is vaporized aluminum that is coated to the frame. If and when you find them, let me know if you want to bring them back to life.

Will do. I hope I find them. Aside from my Juliets I flipped a few years ago, they were my favorite pair. I'm mostly an mframes guy now but still. Just irks me I can't locate them.

:( Doesn't look like its gonna happen. I can't find the shades. I thought perhaps my dad had them, then my girlfriend's brother, I looked in every place I keep all of my Oakleys when not wearing em. I have no idea.

Back