• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Apparition Thoughts?

dmccombs

Oakley Beginner
Can I ask what folks like or dislike about these Oakley Apparitions? I have a wide head, and these actually fit me pretty well today. I found them light and comfortable.

I am torn on the looks though (which frame color), and which lens. I prefer non-polorized, and higher VLT, so I am considering the Prizm Rose or Prism Ruby. I can't find much on the Prizm Rose lens. Is it much different than the Prizm Ruby?

Can I ask what folks like or dislike about these? I have a wide head, and these actually fit me pretty well today. I found them light and comfortable.

I am torn on the looks though (which frame color), and which lens. I prefer non-polorized, and higher VLT, so I am considering the Prizm Rose or Prism Ruby. I can't find much on the Prizm Rose lens. Is it much different than the Prizm Ruby?

They are indeed an appartion.............one which you can't bloody see!

I like them they’re comfy and fit lose. Definitely not a pair I would take to work, but for a everyday lifestyle/driving shades they are nice. I have the prizm ruby and like it. I can’t compare it to the prizm rose as I haven’t tried that lens.

I think if they came out before SnapChat came out with the sunglasses with camera's built in, I'd appreciate them more for their out of the box design... but whenever I see them, or the coldfuse those snapchat shades pop into my head.

Edit: Prizm Ruby polarized was a odd lens for me to get use to, since I expected blue hue it gives in the non-prizm version. It took me a while to get use to the rather bronze tint it provided, around the edges there were hints of blue like what you might experience from OO RIP lens. I found after getting use them, they made for a great daily lens to wear in overcast new england weather, but a bit too light for those blue sky days. No experience with how Prizm Rose Gold would appear in comparison, but from a observational standpoint it looks similar to what Prizm HI Pink snow lenses are like... which if ever made into sunglass lenses I would absolutely want, as they're like a pale bronze/pink in FOV an great for all conditions where theres not a whole lot of sun, which seems to be an area not many of the current tints excel in.

20170307crackingopensnapchatglasses-31.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far.

Both the lens choices are the non-polarized versions. I think I like one fram better, and the lens from another frame. I just don't know about the Prizm Rose Gold lens. Even online there isn't much feed back available.

Well, I did a Chat session with Oakley today about the Apparition. They said that the lenses arent swapable, so I dont think I will get them. The frame I like comes with the Rose Gold, and I have no idea if I'll really like it. If I don;t, I cant swap in another lens apparently.

I had other questions, but it was clear the chat person had no idea what an Apparition was. He was pulling info off the website, just like I've done. He told me he didnt have a set to look, etc.

I would still like to get a set of sunglasses that I can wear to outside work functions, outside weddings, etc. I have a Matte Black Ink Sliver. I was hoping to find something just a touch more dressed up. Does anyone have suggestions for an alternative to the Apparition?

Please keep in mind I have a L-XL head. I fit the M2, Sliver, Evzero, Holbrook XL. The Holbrook, Radar EV, Frogskins aren't wide enough above the ear.

I think you're on the right track with looking at wire/metal frames for a dressier look. Apparition is available in a Grey lens which is versatile. It really is best to choose a frame you like first, as no cool lens is worth wearing an uncomfortable frame for.

Keep looking at brown-based lenses as that seems to be what you like. Prizm Bronze is a fantastic lens, and the Iridium version is Tungsten. Personally, I'd avoid Ruby, 24K, or Rose Gold because you mention formal events. Making a highly reflective and flashy lens match with a suit or formal event where you may not get to choose all the colours you're wearing can be a pain.

You can swap the lenses out of those, Oakley just isn't selling replacements right now. These are for sale in the exchange forum right now.
Apparition
2 - Prizm ruby iridium
1 - Black Polarized

I think you're on the right track with looking at wire/metal frames for a dressier look. Apparition is available in a Grey lens which is versatile. It really is best to choose a frame you like first, as no cool lens is worth wearing an uncomfortable frame for.

Keep looking at brown-based lenses as that seems to be what you like. Prizm Bronze is a fantastic lens, and the Iridium version is Tungsten. Personally, I'd avoid Ruby, 24K, or Rose Gold because you mention formal events. Making a highly reflective and flashy lens match with a suit or formal event where you may not get to choose all the colours you're wearing can be a pain.
Thanks for the sound advice. What you say about the lenses for a dressier look makes perfect sense.

I am open to the wire/metal frame, but I have 2 issues.
1) Can you recommend any that would fit my slightly wide head?
2) The metals seem to start at $300 used. I can't go above about $150. Even $100 or less would be better. Do you know any wire/metals that are in my price range?

Thanks for all your help.

You can swap the lenses out of those, Oakley just isn't selling replacements right now. These are for sale in the exchange forum right now.
Apparition
2 - Prizm ruby iridium
1 - Black Polarized
Hi, yes I saw these for sale, and that is why I contacted Oakley. They said something like "they are not sold as replaceable", but didn't say it cant easily be done by a customer. I looked for youtube video's figuring that one would be out there if it could be done, but I didnt find anything. I'd love to know for sure.

After seeing post VirusSixZero's comments, if the lenses are indeed swappable, I could buy the Apparition with the brown frame and Rose Gold lens, and an extra set of Grey lenses for more business like occasions.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back